Anybody else given hunting?....

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by B27, Oct 27, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

[​IMG]

this was the weather this past week/weekend for me at the 'bear playground' I've been stomping. There's at least 3 bears in this area but can't catch 'em in the open yet.

missed this one by a matter of minutes, tried using the predator call but he wasn't buying it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait until my boys are old enough to come along, all my buddies crap out every year and I'm always bouncing around by myself. Don't mind it too much but it's nice to hunt with a few people. Couldn't ever give it up, eyeing the weather right now, looks like I'm gonna be wet and covered in snow this week.
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i guess i got to find something big to hunt next as I picked up a 458lott :)
  3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I used to live to hunt, but my sons never got into it. Hunted with guys I used to work with, but they were much younger than me and they'd hike ten miles in the mountains, wich is great for them - but quartering a 800 pound elk and packing it out that far made no sense to me. I don't think hunting alone is a great idea, so I gave that up. I loved goose hunting, but never found a way to cook them to the point they were edible, and killing anything I'm not gonna eat is a thing I won't do. I do love elk, venison and squirrel. Have a few antelope that cross my place, but too few to hunt.

Having said all of that - I fully back hunting and bless those who still hunt. I'm too old and busted up to start again.
  4. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

If I had a need to hunt I can and would, But as I can afford plenty of food right now I hunt at Publix. But I have the skills if I need them.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I don't hunt as much as I used to and now its deer only. If I didn't want the meat I wouldn't do it. I like being in the woods alone but I don't care for the killing. I used to look forward to the kill but I guess we change as we get older or at least some of us do.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am jealous.
  7. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

You don't have bear hunting in Idaho?
  8. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Active Member

I haven't hunted as much as I would like in the past 8 years. Mainly deer huntin and squirrel. Typically don't care if I get one or not, just like goin. It is relaxin walkin round and just let yer mind kinda wonder off while enjoyin the woods.
  9. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I hope you're joking about a 1000 yard shot on an animal for sport. Stick to paper at that range.
  10. B27

B27 New Member

Absodamnlutely true. :)

Everytime I slap a steak or some chops on the barbie I am aware that I am cooking pieces of an animal which was slaughtered and sold to me.
  11. 76Highboy

Ya, I agree. Too many animals are wounded because someone wants to try a long shot. It is not worth it.
  12. 76Highboy

Yes we do, but I can't hunt this year because of my weight restriction.
  13. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I guess a 1000 yard shot is too far :confused:

Thanks for telling me. I guess that is too far. I dont want to wound an animal with a gun and let it run off like a deer or hog
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  14. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I've had to chase 3 deer in my life and it ain't fun. I wouldn't even dream of engaging a game target at that distance. Maybe 600 but I would certainly hesitate on anything that far out. They will die eventually but if you can't find 'em, it's a big waste and makes me feel bad personally. Out of the 3 that didn't drop in their tracks, I only ever lost one and it was found by the neighboring hunting camp the following day so I've been lucky.

Another reason why I like my gas gun, I have 20 rounds to send very fast; even if you ruin some meat, 3 quarters is better than no quarters! bolt guns can be pretty quick but nothing beats semi auto for fast follow up shots.

Did a lot of hunting with a single shot growing up so always make that first one count but especially with elk and bear, they frequently need more than one smack. head shooting eliminates a lot of problems, a hit is death, a miss is just a miss, not a wound.
  15. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of it like that. The only person I know that takes those shots is a friend that's a sniper on the L.A Sheriffs SWAT team. The first time he went hunting with us he asked where we shoot them, we said right behind the front leg. He said he would rather shoot them in the head and that's what he did. 370 yds off hand, standing. One shot to the head. I wish I had that much confidence in my shooting abilities. But if all you do is shoot all day long it's no big deal.