Anybody else given hunting?....

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by B27, Oct 27, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

nothing more satisfying than watching a deer just simply drop and not move ever again with a good head shot. Boom and done. no chase, no hassle, no ruined meat. (I eat the heart, my favorite part of any animal). I hate watching a kill run away, even if it's only 50-100m. My dad taught me to head shoot from day one.

But have to admit, with iron sights at anything over 75-100m or a moving target, I will likely open fire on the vits to ensure some hits. Ballistic tips are amazing, they will wreck tissue like nothing else. Most of my head shots are at around 50-75m with a scoped rifle. Iron sights or longer distance I will hit behind the shoulder unless I'm afforded the time for a good shot at the nugget.
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

That's what I've been using for years. The deer I got this year was quartering away and my shot hit further back than I was aiming, cross wind, the ballistic tip hit the liver and destroyed everything. It made it about 120 yards before dying from massive blood loss. That's the furthest anything has ran that I've shot with ballistic tips.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  3. B27

B27 New Member

I have no business shooting at any whitetail size target more than 200 yards away.
    Luckily for me the woods I hunted were so thick that 75 yards was a long shot.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Not really, you could blow a deer's jaw off leaving it to die a very painful and slow death from starvation.
  5. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I'm still hunting, just slower now. On the long range shots though I have a story about a friend of mine. He has a really large farm, raises soy beans and corn, so he has a nuisance deer problem. He gets a number of permits from Encon, and takes the problem deer through the year. Anyhow, the wood line is a measured 900 yards from the back of the house. One evening he sees a deer eating out there, gets his .308, and fires. His wife is watching the deer through a pair of binoculars. Next thing she says is "Great shot Hon, that turkey went right down." She meant it. In the time it took to take that shot, a large turkey had stepped between him and the deer. Unintended consequences, but a hell of a shot!
  6. B27

B27 New Member

Great story. :D
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Gun Runner, Just to show you how different world views can be, In rural Alaska, hunting is about fresh meat, not sport; comes from the Indian's influence on Nature's Purpose: to provide for man. In fact it's seen as a sacriledge of sorts not to take the questionable shot by the Indians; you shouldn't be playing around/enjoying killing animals; you just do it or maybe Nature might not give you a shot again.

I'm also intrigued by long shots, but rarely take them unless I have the 30-378 with me.
    I never shoot at grizzly bear over 3-4 hundred yards, they often get away when at 800 yards. If you ever walked in after a grizz that's been hit in head high brush; you'd do the same too. WE have killed caribou at 550 yards with 6.8 stag and moose at 750 yards with the 7 mag. A few times we have caught bulls across the river and several of us started shooting and somebody made the kill shot, 800-1000 yards. Everybody in the village is happy, and helps bring moose out/cut up/share.
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

same here.. I have a hard time finding a clear shooting lane past 50-75 yards mostly.
  9. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I see this, and I want to break out my skis!!

[​IMG]
  10. m77user

m77user Active Member

A temporary situation. I usually go to a friends to shoot a whitetail. 80 acres small but has both water and cover. Lots of farm land adjoining so no worries about neighbors, plus some of it belongs to his brother-in-law.

He called me earlier this week and said not to come over. Blue tongue had gotten almost all the whitetail last year and they have not recovered.

Good luck to all of you who go out.
  11. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

What do you mean?
  12. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    for me hunting is like getting an injection of some powerful mind altering drug.i do enjoy the venison but the woods seem to tell me things that i could never learn in the city.i receive a relaxation ill never get anywhere else.i think that god made the beautiful outdoors for us also to enjoy and i will for as long as he lets me. old asemperfi