Anybody from NV?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Marlin T, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

NV Senate candidate Terry Suominen responds to gun questionnaire

September 25, 8:15 AM[​IMG]Gun Rights Examiner[​IMG]David Codrea

Another candidate for the Nevada senate seat currently occupied by Harry Reid has responded to the gun rights questionnaire, Terry Suominen.

Here is his reply:

I am sending you my response to your questionnaire with the answers in capital letter form with each question.

Gun laws are of great interest around this country and do bring up much heated debates. I have answered each question based on my belief, with that said I also addressed the Constitutionality of the right to bear arms as stipulated in each question where needed.

1. Do you believe that the Constitution is the "supreme law of the land" and that the Bill of Rights acknowledges our birthrights?

TS: YES

2. If so, should these rights be proactively protected from infringement by all levels of government, including city, county and state?

TS: YES, WITH EXCEPTIONS THAT I WILL ADDRESS IN EACH OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS.

3. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider constitutional.

TS: MY PERSONAL BELIEF IS THAT ASSAULT RIFLES SHOULD BE REGULATED. I AGREE THAT FELONS AND MENTALLY INCOMPETENT INDIVIDUALS ARE EXEMPT FROM THE SECOND AMENDMENT AS THE SUPREME COURT HAS RULED AND I AGREE THAT ONE SHOULD HAVE TO APPLY FOR A PERMIT TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON. ALSO I BELIEVE IN THE SAFE ZONES AROUND SCHOOLS.

4. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider unconstitutional.

TS: LAWS THAT TAKE AWAY CITIZENS RIGHT (AS IN WASHINGTON DC) TO BEAR ARMS WHO DO NOT FIT THE CRITERIA OF THE FELON OR THE METALLY INCOMPETENT. ANY LAW THAT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZENS RIGHT TO DEFEND THEMSELVES IN THEIR HOME WITH A FIREARM.

5. Does the right to bear arms include the right for any peaceable citizen to carry them concealed without a permit, as in Vermont?

TS: MY BELIEF IS THAT WE HAVE A RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, WITH STATES GIVEN THE RIGHT TO LEGISLATE WHETHER OR NOT TO REQUIRE REGISTRATION OF FIREARMS TO BE CONCEALED.

6. Do you believe that Americans have a right to own, use and carry weapons of military pattern, and will you use the prestige of elected office to publicly promote that right?

TS: I BELIEVE THAT ASSAULT WEAPONS OR THOSE USED FOR MILITARY PURPOSES SHOULD BE REGULATED. AS A SENATOR I WILL PURSUE THE WILL OF MY CONSTITUENTS ON ALL MATTERS.

7. Do you support or oppose registration of weapons? Why?

TS: I SUPPORT THE REGISTRATION OF WEAPONS. THIS IS ONE SAFEGUARD THAT ULTIMATELY COULD PREVENT INDIVIDUALS FROM BUYING GUNS THAT HAVE LOST THEIR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.

8. Do you support or oppose licensing requirements to own or carry firearms? Why?

TS: I BELIEVE THAT YOU SHOULD NOT NEED TO BE LICENSED TO CARRY A FIREARM UNLESS YOU CONCEAL IT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON YOU SHOULD BE LICENSED, AGAIN SO THAT THE STATE KNOWS THE INDIVIDUAL DID NOT LOSE THEIR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.

9. What specific gun laws will you work to get repealed?

TS: CURRENTLY MY EFFORTS WOULD BE ON PRESENTING A BALANCED BUDBET AMENDMENT, REDUCING THE SIZE OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND REDUCE THE NATIONAL DEBT. IF THERE IS A LAW THAT NEEDS TO BE LOOKED AT AND REPEALED BECAUSE THE CONSTITUENTS OF NEVADA SHOW A DESIRE I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO LOOK INTO THAT SPECIFIC LAW TO FIGHT FOR WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN.

10. If elected, will you back your words of support for firearms rights up with consistent actions? How?

TS: I WILL BACK UP MY WORDS WITH ACTION. IF A BILL IS PRESENTED THAT THREATENS TO TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS AS DISCUSSED ABOVE, I WILL FIGHT IT. IF THE CONSTITUENTS OF THE STATE OF NEVADA HAVE ISSUE WITH CURRENT LAWS I WILL LOOK INTO THE LAWS AND IF NEED BE PRESENT A BILL TO ADDRESS THE WISHES OF NEVADANS.

Mr. Codrea I have answered each question with great thought and concern. Let me end by saying that as Senator of the Great State of Nevada I will fight for the wishes of the citizens that elected me regardless of my position on the issue. I will be the voice of the people who ultimately elected me to go to Washington and fight for what they believe.

If my views are in opposition to theirs I will have to in good faith stand by the majority and vote the conscience of the people. The office of the Senate is about We the people. That is my pledge.

Respectfully,

Terry Suominen

Learn more about Terry Suominen from his campaign website.

------------

Revisiting the Illinois State Police

Chicago Gun rights Examiner Don Gwinn writes an open letter to the director.

Regular readers will recall we challenged the notion that the best self-defense advice was to vomit, surrender or scream...
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Not perfect, but much better than most.

He has the common misconception that asault rifles and assault weapons are synonymous. He needs to be educated on that topic. Then he needs to be educated on the meaning of "bearing" is. Military style and issue guns are what the 2nd protects. All other uses are an adjunct to the basic right.

Pops
  3. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

Are you kidding? Boot this guy to the curb now. This is more of the same.

Gun registration, yes.

Gun licensing, yes.

Safe (kill) zones, yes.

Black gun prejudice, yes.

Believes in Constitution as supreme law, except where he doesn't believe it.

Believes it's OK for states to infringe on your right to bear arms.

Not even close.
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Nope! He's closet anti-gun. He believes in registration. History has proven repeatedly that registration ALWAYS leads to confiscation. He also believes in regulating "assault weapons." What will he decide needs to be regulated next?:mad:
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

From Nevada and I agree 100%. The best signs and bumber stickers around here say "Any body but Harry Reid in 2010" though it brings out the jerks.

Ron
  6. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

I was thinkin' the same thing Hardballer. I'm waiting to see what Danny Tarkanian's stance is since when he announced he was running, he was double digits in front of Reid within a couple of weeks the first part of August.

I'm not in NV, but we do a lot of our household shopping there along with my ammo shoppin', so it can affect us in CA.
  7. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

He isn't going to get my vote.
  8. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

Found this at the same site Marlin T. So, here ya go Nevada'ns:

Gun owners should support Danny Tarkanian for Senate
  9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

10. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

Good luck Danny T., Stand by these principles, and see how your voters view their 2nd. amendment.
  11. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Mr. Tarkanian claims to feel about like I do. Wish my Congresscritters felt the same way. The British didn't march on Lexington and Concord to seize shotguns but the Militia arms which were the assault weapons of the day along with powder shot and flints. My Congresscritters and wannabees, leave the assault rifles alone. I don't want this Congress to send troops to seize any of my firearms, ever and will not support anyone who would attempt to seize my property, firearms, real estate or SUV.