Anybody have .308 Win. Subsonic Load Data?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bluesea112, Sep 6, 2007.

1. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Buy something chambered for the 30 carbine. Subsonic loads ought to be easier and safer to produce with that caliber. And why are you shooting in an RV park anyway??????????????
  2. zb338

zb338 New Member

A friend and I experimented with low powered loads in .243 Winchesters. We found
    that if you pointed the gun barrel down the bullet would stick in the barrel. We tried
    putting cotton over the powder. That worked but the cotton would lay on the range
    floor and burn. We ended up with a little more powder and a magnum primer. As I
    remember we shot some very good groups at 25 yards. We used lead cast gas check
    bullets. Lyman mold.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Why not? It's his RV park. I have a safe backstop in my backyard. I can safely shoot there, but if the neighbors see/hear me they might call the cops - discharge of a firearm inside the city limits. So I try not to get seen or heard.

It really is no different than someone shooting Colibri's in the living room, into a phone book. Or having a range for 22s in the basement. Both of these are (or used to be) fairly common throughout the country.
  4. echo431

echo431 New Member

I legally own a Integrally suppressed FN Patrol Bolt chambered in 308 Winchester with a 1:12 Twist. I hand load 155 Grain Hornady A-Max Moly Coated; 8.5 grains IMR Trail Boss, CCI magnum primers, cartridge length: 2.77. These shoot excellent, sighted in at 100 yards. 2 of my friends have the same rifle and I loaded them a batch of the same load. We sighted our rifles in at the same time and they shot the same, 1" groups at 100 yards. I bought my rifle from http://www.johnsguns.us
  5. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

I load and shoot subsonic ammo in the 9mm, 300 whisper, 338 whisper, 510 whisper, 458 socom, .223 rem and 45 acp. I have been working on 380 auto, 308 win and 358 win for a little while. I use surplus WC820 for all of my subsonic loads except for the pistols. WC820 looks and meters like H110, but is a bit faster. I use NM04 (like bullseye) for the pistols. WC820 is temperature sensitive, but is just fine to load in amounts that only fill a small part of the case. I have never had a problem with detonation. Personally I think that light load detonation is a myth.

What was said above about the muzzle blast being much louder than the sonic boom and poor transonic performance I entirely agree with. The speed of sound varies most greatly with air temperature. It will vary from about 1060 fps when -40 F and a bit over 1100 fps when over 100 degrees if I remember correctly. I load my subsonic stuff to 1050 fps and generally have good results.

A chronograph is a must when loading subsonic ammo. You want at least 900 fps to ensure good power and adequate trajectory. Past 200 yards it is hard to hit a target at unknown distances and this gets worse if you are under 900 fps. Using a chrony is the easiest way to ensure you have the right powder charge. It will also show if you have consistent velocities which is required for good accuracy.

12 grains of H110 is a good starting load for a 308 rifle using a 200 grain bullet. You will need a 1-10 twist to stablize a 200 grain round nose bullet, 1-8 for up to 240 grain boat tails. A 1-12 might be ok for a 150 grain fmj or round nose.

Ranb
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

When giving any kind of reloading information, it is even more important to proofread your posts. >You will need a 1-10 twist to stablize a 20 grain round nose bullet<
  7. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

Thanks, I fixed it. Free reloading data is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

Ranb
  8. Rneck

Rneck New Member

maybe try an air rifle?
  9. 300Whisper

300Whisper New Member

I'm new to this post, but I can tell you that H110 with low case density is asking for trouble. It CAN and has done strange things....like blow the side off an AR-15 (two of them) with 10.5 grains and and a 220gr Sierra Pro-Hunter, and this is considered a SAFE load by Sierra's latest Load Manual. I also know one barrel ruined by it "clumping" together and burning off in the barrel leaving pit marks, or putting swirl marks on a 50 yard target where it was stuck to the back of a bullet. There are other recomended subsonic loads for some bullets on data.hodgdon.com ..... stay away from H110. If you had no problems yet...be carefull...it's only a matter of time, and for NO known reasons. Use it ONLY for high case density or compressed loads as recommended by the manufacturer.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  10. Lark07

Lark07 Former Guest

I also use WC820 with good results. It looks and meters like H110, but is a bit faster, or so I have read. 4227 should also work well in subsonic loads. I have heard lots of good things about Trailboss, but have never tried it myself.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

trailboss loads alot like black powder in that you can just about fill a case up with it and it wont be overloaded. I wouldnt recommend compressing it but a .308 case filled to the top of the shoulder with trailboss and a 180 or 200 gr lead bullet should give you a nice reduced plinker load...
  12. sgunn911

sgunn911 New Member

You can't load a .308 case up with Trail Boss and a 200 grain bullet and be anywhere near subsonic. It may be a "reduced" load, but way over subsonic velocities, which is what the topic is concerning.

It only takes around 12 grains of Trail Boss Powder to be right on the line of subsonic/supersonic with a 200 grain bullet. The most common .308 subsonic load I know of (and that has been around for many years) is the following:

10 Grains of Trail Boss powder (OR substitute 8.2 gr. Red Dot W/ similar results)
    200 grain Lapua Subsonic Bullet
    Large Rifle Magnum Primers
    Flash holes enlarged to 9/64"

The end result is one of the more accurate subsonic loads around with a velocity in the 960 fps range depending on your rifle.

As for all the "what's the use of using subsonic rounds in a .308?" questions, there are several uses for wanting to shoot a target without alarming possible surrounding targets or concealing your position. And no, this does not only apply to military snipers or tactical situations. I use a suppressed POF P-308 with an ATN PS-22 Night vision optic for hunting predators and varmints. There have been numerous times when I have been able to take down multiple coyotes or other targets only because they were not scared off by the first shot. It is natural to think these loads do little damage, but it is simply untrue. This is still a 30 caliber 200 grain projectile travelling at almost 1,000 fps., and I have never needed to shoot anything twice. The closest I have come to needing something more powerfull was against some adult wild hogs, and that's just because they are some mean, tough suckers. But then again I have shot these with everything from a 12 guage to a 50 beowulf and double tapped because they were still moving around, so I don't blame the subsonic round for this one.

I have taken a full grown adult female coyote completely off all fours with the round I listed above, and done it in almost complete silence except for the "thump" of the bullet hitting the target. In fact, the targets I hit after the first kill are usually staring at their buddy laying on the ground in confusion (probably wondering why they just jumped sideways and rolled around in the dirt).

Why do you think the suppressor industry has taken off and sold so many suppressors to the public? There are drawbacks to shooting quietly, but the rewards are much greater in my opinion.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  13. 806dan

806dan New Member

I use Trail Boss for my suppressed 308 loads with reasonable results. My rifle is a Rem 700 20" HVY barrel with a 1-10 twist. The load is use is 10.7grs of Trail Boss and CCI 200 large rile primer pushing a Sierra 180 RN flat base bullet (uncrimped). The velocity is approximately 1025fps +-25fps depending on environmental factors and barrel fouling. Accuracy is 1.25 MOA or better. My suppressor is a Gemtech HVT. Optics is a 3rd Gen D-760 with a Mildot reticle. With a 100yrd sight in, the first mil below the cross hair is 125yrd, 2nd is 150yrd, etc... the load just worked out that way.
    Last year I shot two wild boars the first one broke a 440lb game scale still resting on its hind quarters and the second was a third larger than the first. The above load is is responsible for those and many more hogs and other varmints.

ALWAYS REMOVE THE SUPPRESSOR BEFORE TESTING AN UNPROVEN LOAD. When testing loads, always remove the suppressor for the first 3 rounds. Once fired, inspect the target for key holes. If the entry hole is round you are ready to test it with the suppressor installed. A bullet that key hole's a target is not stabilized and if fired through the suppressor may result in a baffle strike. Flat base bullets seem to work best in the lower velocity ranges.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

that is solid gold information 806. And couldnt agree more. Trailboss is a very versatile powder.
  15. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like you have tested it thoroughly, so I am going to give it a try.
    I can't help but to wonder if it is going to short cycle the bolt on my DPMS .308. (I already know the likely answer, but I like to be an optimist.)
  16. Wsinnett

Wsinnett New Member

I just loaded and shot several. It sounds like a paintball gun with my innovative arms suppressor. Load is. 9.5gn trail boss and 175 gr 30 cal round nose bullet
  17. ESSPEOT

ESSPEOT New Member

Yes...refined them today as matter of fact. I use 208gr AMAX, atop 9gr reddot, ignited with mag rifle primers. seat depth at 2.775 to keep the case as full as possible. just returned from range ....WOW...accurate too...rough 1" on centers at 100yds. making easy 300yd plus hits on 12" steel plates. I did not enlarge flash holes, works perfectly all 50 rds teted. You have to manually cycle your bolt.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  18. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. 883n

883n Former Guest

I use 13 grains of H110 and 220 Hornady RN for about 1050 feet per second. You will need a chronograph to properly load your own.