Anybody have any experience with a Mossberg MVP?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by polishshooter, Nov 12, 2012.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I have been in the market for a "Walking Around" Prairie Dog rifle to compliment my Swift from the bench, and was just about settled on a used Sako .222 with a 12x Leupold for $1000 if it was still available when I either settled on my Mom's house or got my bonus, whichever came first...

But since the house still hasn't closed (DAMM New York State Inspections!) and I won't recieve my bonus till next MARCH even though I EARNED it in SEPTEMBER....:mad:) I have still been looking at my options...

My son bought a Rifle Firepower magazine when he got home from the Army, and there was an article about the Mossberg MVP...

HHHMmmmm... A 71/2 lb Bolt Action "Varmint" rifle in 5.56 that took AR -15 mags....

HHHMMMMmmm....

Half inch groups with CHEAP 55 gr and 62 gr Nato American Eagle and Federal loads... .80-.90" groups with Hornady and other .223 rounds....

Almost good enough from the BENCH, but from a walking bipod? With a 30 round mag walking just over a rise with a hundred or so P-dogs looking at me at 200 yds or less?

Then I was in Indy with my wife, to meet my son for a round of golf, and after letting her shop and we still had an hour to kill before the tee time, I said we would hit Gander Mountain...

And lo and behold, they had an MVP on the shelf...$579 without a scope, nice laminate stock that fit me well, and the knock-off Accu-trigger that they let me dry fire...SWEET and crisp!!!!

Then I look up the reviews on the 'net...guys are getting LESS than half inch at 100 with handloads and heavier bullets with the 1/9 twist....

Hey, I have a BUNCH of AR mags, I reload for .223 already for my AR, and I will get much better accuracy then I have been striving for in my 16" Rock River, and NOT have to scramble for brass in the cactus and ratlesnakes!

Does anybody have any experience with these rifles? They have been around for a year or so.

This may be just what I am looking for in a 1/2-3/4 MOA rifle at 200 yds for P-dogs....
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

I too am interested in them. I've seen QC problems, and they apparently are not fond of polymer mags, but that experience is limited to you-tube vids. So I'm not sure if that's just a couple of guns, or a consistent problem.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

oh my god, I just saw one today at the LGS, I want one.

and the MVP takes AR mags as a bonus!

only $500 new, hmmmm.....
  4. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

This is the kind of rifle I have been waiting for, heavy BBL BA in .223, not a fan of black rifles, I do like very much that the ammo/magazine capacity is there if needed, very nice indeed, and I see nothing but good info on the web about it's accuracy, I think I would prefer the 24" bbl to the 16"", same twist, but shouldn't the longer bbl offer better accuracy? or it that where your reloading skills come in to play?
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

24" is a bit long for my tastes in something like this but you can achieve something like 95% of the velocity with the 16" and for certain the same accuracy.

I like it because of the magazine ability and it's 'carbine' length, a great lookin' gun to carry in the field. I thought it was Ruger's new scout carbine at first but the 10rd AR mag gave it away. Wouldn't mind having the ruger either in .308, same idea but bigger boom.

I prefer gas guns in many cases as I love the firepower and fast follow up shots but a 10-30rd bolt gun makes me pretty happy too!
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know exactly what the MVP is but about 4 years ago I was looking for a .308 rifle and settled on a Mossberg. The next day. I slapped a scope on it and headed out to the range to zero it. On the 5th shot the bolt came apart, the extractor and the "ring" on the end of the bolt face broke. I took the rifle back to my LGS and he sent it back to Mossberg. About two weeks later the rifle was back so I slapped the scope back on it and headed back to the range. This time it made it to the 7th shot and the same thing happened. I took it back to my LGS and he gave me ful purchase amount in store credit. They have great shotguns and I have a 60 years old Mossberg .22 but never again will I own a center fire rifle from them.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

hmmm... I tend to have the same feeling, I've always loved Mossberg's shotguns (and they're certainly not the best quality) but wondered if their other stuff was up to par also.

I know everyone makes a bad gun now and again but twice in a row falling apart? not good

thanks for the fair warning and your experience.