The Firearms Forum banner

Anybody have any info on Cobra Firearms CA380?

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Lanrezac 
#1 ·
I have a hard time passing up $99 guns. Is this thing a total piece of #$%#? Looked around at some reviews and it doesn't seem all that bad. Anybody have any experience with it?

#2 ·
Davis and Lorcin are pieces of crap. Changing the name of the gun to Cobra and moving from California does not change it. It's still brown and stinky.

Reactions: Big Shrek
#5 ·
#8 ·
I've shot a lot of the "ring of fire" handguns. None of them are as bad as people make them out to be for range use. The Davis has a terrible trigger pull and thin trigger that's painful to shoot, I can vouch. They're simple blowback operated pistols, accurate due to the fixed barrel design. Some have lifetime warranties, if you just want something to send bullets down range with affordably then have at it. Not recommended for concealed carry or self-defense, although the ones that I've owned (9mm) all ran 100% and none of them ever cracked apart or blew up like so many folks claim. Proper maintenance as usual seems to be the key, anything will break if abused or neglected.

#9 ·
I also, MANY years ago, bought a Lorcin in .380 for my daughter. She has shot it a lot, and never had a problem. About a year ago, her husband told me he could not disassemble it for cleaning the last time they shot it, and asked me to look at it. Now to be fair, the Lorcin is a BOOGER to field strip - to the point that I call in dis-assembly instead of field strip, because there is no way to do it in the field. Anyway, it took three hands to hold everything needed to finally get it apart, and when I did there was a small piece of metal that had jammed up the mechanism - and it did NOT come from the gun itself. I suspect when someone attempting to dis-assemble this gun used something with a VERY fine brittle point, and it broke off jamming up the works.

It is big, it is heavy, it is crude and it is ugly.
But it shoots just fine and without any feed failures, and the lead is spit in the proper direction.

#12 ·
I wouldn't buy a used one but I'd be willing to buy a new one. I just wouldn't plan on putting a lot of rounds through it. 15 or 20 rounds of NOT +p ammo for practice now and then wouldn't hurt it and it would likely be reliable. I was very close to buying one for my wife and tried to have one ordered but the LGS couldn't get it. So, I ended up getting her the Tanfoglio .25 that was imported by FIE back in the 60's. It's solid and made of steel and I've gone through it with a fine tooth comb plus tested a number of .25 ACP rounds though it so I'm comfortable with it's reliability. Given the choice though, I'd prefer getting a 9mm Makarov :)

#13 ·
Do Not Trust the safety on a Lorcin, Davis, or Cobra...
they have a tendancy not to work...
trigger may very well make the FP strike the primer even on Safe...
treat it like any pre-safety firearm and you'll be fine ;)

#15 ·
Thanks for the listing, gdmoody. I had one of those a long time ago, when it was made by Davis, in 32ACP. It was heavy for its size and unpleasant to shoot because of its heavy trigger and poorly shaped grip. I bought it because it was one of the first "Ring of Fire" guns to be made in something bigger than 22LR or 25ACP, and because it was the first new American-made 32 automatic since god knows when. It worked OK, but I didn't shoot it a lot. I sold it when the novelty wore off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.