Anybody have any Pheasant Recipes?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by benellinova16, Dec 6, 2008.

1. benellinova16

benellinova16 New Member

I enjoy going pheasant hunting, but not so much the cooking the bird part. I enjoy cooking, but the birds always come out too damn dry. I was wondering if anybody has any good pheasant recipes. Open to all ideas.
    -Thanks
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Welcome to the forums. :)

Heres a couple I pulled off the net that may be worth considering.

--------------------------------------------------
    Slow Cooker Pheasant

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 pheasants, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into pieces
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 onion, sliced into rings
    1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1 cup white wine
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup sliced black olives

DIRECTIONS
    Place the flour, salt, and pepper into a resealable plastic bag; shake to mix. Place the pheasant pieces into the flour mixture, and shake until evenly coated.
    Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Shake any excess flour off of the pheasant pieces, and place them in the hot oil. Cook until the pheasant is brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Place the pheasant into a slow cooker, reserving the oil in the skillet. Cook the onion in the remaining oil until they soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and garlic, and continue cooking and stirring until the mushrooms have softened and the garlic has mellowed, about 5 minutes more.
    Pour the wine into the skillet and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then pour in the chicken broth and return to a boil. Pour the mushroom mixture into the slow cooker, and sprinkle with sliced black olives.
    Cover, and cook on High for 4 hours, or Low for 7 hours.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Easy Pheasant Casserole

1 (6 ounce) package dry bread stuffing mix
    4 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 1/2 cups hot water
    1 (10.5 ounce) can chicken gravy
    1 pound cooked pheasant, cubed
    1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    In a large bowl, combine the seasoning packet from the stuffing mix with the butter and water. Stir in the stuffing crumbs until all the liquid is absorbed.
    In a separate 2 quart casserole dish, combine the gravy, pheasant, vegetables and thyme. Stir all together well , then spoon the stuffing mix over the top.
    Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
  3. benellinova16

benellinova16 New Member

Crpdeth, thanks a lot for the recipes. When I try them, I will let you know how they come out.
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Not gonna have me over for dinner?

I was gonna bring a nice bottle of Black Swan too. :(

Hope things come out well.

Crpdeth
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Here is another one you might want to try....:D

Debone the pheasant, and place the pieces flat on wax paper cover with the same and agressively pound with the weapon of your choice,:p being carefull not break the wax paper.

Mix one package cream cheeze with some finely diced onion and garlic, and a small bit of red pepper. (use your imaginations here) Season meat with salt and pepper. Spread cream cheeze mixture over the flattened pieces of pheasant. Place one or two slices of jalapeno pepper in the center of each piece.

Now the hard part....roll each up and wrap with thick cut bacon, using tooth picks to secure as needed.....;)

place on a grill over a meduim fire for about 5 min. per side assuming you roll them 4 times about 20 min. total. It is done when the juices are clear.

We REALLY like this one around here!!;):D:D Enjoy, Kirk
  6. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Here is an easy one, ideal for an older bird.

Debone one rooster. Cut meat into bite sized cubes dredge in a seasoned flour mixture.
    Brown the pieces in a heavy skillet in butter. Pour milk in pan till the pheasant pieces are half submerged. Cover and simmer for about 1 and a half hours, and don't let it boil if possible. Makes moist meat and a nice gravy for fresh baked biscuts. Wonderfull pre hunt breakfast...Best regards Kirk