anybody here like it as it is?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by boni, Feb 19, 2007.

1. boni

boni New Member

does anyone here have a 1911 thats not modified or firearm for that matter that isn't modified?i mean just as it is. why, what are your reasons for modifying it? :)
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I got a straight up Springfield Armory GI .45. Narry a one modification. But i can see why people want to modify their guns. It makes it more comfortable for them to shoot, more accurate to shoot, it makes it unique, and it makes it look good (even though sometimes just the owner may think that). But I think Above all it gives a deeper level of ownership of the firearm and makes it somthing that they invested time and money into to make shooting more enjoyable.
  3. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I have several 1911's and no one has touched them but me, an that's just when I shoot them & clean them.

I'm a simple guy, I point, squeeze and the pill hits what I was pointing at. That's all I require.
  4. yankeedoodle

yankeedoodle New Member

Why do people buy boats and add STUFF to it????
    Same reason.
    Cause they can.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

You ask if anyone has a 1911 that is not modified.
    Then you ask the reason for modifying it.

????
  6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Being not made of Big $$, I have few stock guns, maybe 4 out of 20. No fancy one's. Trigger job is the most common improvement, for me.
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

Boni, I'm unsure of the question.
    I own a couple of 1911's, and 'modify' to me, means "to change from intended purpose, or design".
    This being said, a couple of my 1911's are some off JMB's design parameters, and dimensions, because it was an excellent design, that could be 'tweaked', to fill a special need; many, however, of my pistols, were 'modified' so to speak, to put them BACK on the original dimensions, and design, as they were 'way out', as built!
    A 4 1/4", double action, first shot, ODI Viking combat, is not a JMB design, but is true to the design, with trigger enhancement; A Clark, or Wilson, or Ed Brown pistol; are these modified, or simply put back, by lots of work, to the dimensional tolerance 'split', JMB had in mind??
    Please further define your terms.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

1911 were designed to be reliable. Even Colt commercial guns are very reliable. Reliable often means loose and even the Colts are a little loose. No manufacturer of 1911's wants to deviate too much from reliable as there are possible legal issues if the gun is so tight as to be unreliable or gets that way with only a few rounds fired that get it a little bit dirty.

But loose can mean not paper punching accurate. The key to 1911 accuracy is get rid of looseness. The best 1911 modification to that end is a tight fitting barrel bushing and good lockup of the barrel into the slide. Other tightning operations like the slide to frame are not nearly as effective as the barrel bush tightening and good lockup. This approach is that the sights, the slide, the barrel are all tied hard together, kind of like an accurate 22 match pistols. For that reason I like to fit a match barrel bush and a Group Gripper (spring loaded spring guide that pushes barrel up into the locking lugs hard).

1911 triggers are a little heavy and can be creeepy too so I throw away all the stock internal trigger parts and replace them with proven match parts accurately fitted. The trigger become superb and is still safe if done right.

All these changes lead to better accuracy, which is what makes it for me. I strive for accurate guns whether it be pistol, revolvers, or long guns. Accuaracy is where it is at for me. It is surprising what a little work to most guns can do to increase their accuracy at least somewhat and virtually all my guns have some work doe to that end.

LDBennett
  9. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

boni,

I cant speak for others, though I think they all pretty much feel that to modify is to make it a little more exclusively yours, and that goes for more than just our 1911's. I have two 1911's that have yet to be touched, as far as modifications go, because I bought them with everything I wanted already installed or modified. On the other hand, I believe I have modified all my other guns, past and present, in one way or another. I have even gone so far as to cut and recrown a barrel on one of my favorite revolvers. At this writing I am almost sure it is an exclusive.

tex
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have always liked to find a deal on a stock 1911.

Then I can add custom features and improve accuracy like the good lord intended. :D
  11. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

got a 1991-A1 purchased new some 8 (?) years ago. shot nothing but factory copper coated round nose boob cuties. it has a flat black finish, and rather sharp edges which drew some blood while practising dis and re assembly. It goes bang every time, so who am I to complain? What is not to like, the fact mud does not bother it, or sand from our Arab friends?

LL
  12. clmanges

clmanges New Member

I have three guns, and have only modified my Henry rifle by adding a peep sight.

The reasons for modification seems to fall into two categories, accuracy and comfort (or ergonomics). Sometimes these overlap, and I won't address the accuracy issue, but the ergonomics issue is easy enough to understand. In order to mass-produce guns, the makers have to build them to fit an "average" hand. This will be functionally acceptable for most people, but no two hands are quite the same, and due to the high degree of sensitivity in our hands, a tiny change in grip dimensions can make a very large difference in what "feels right." Change one measurement by a sixteenth, and the gun can go from feeling "just okay" to feeling terrific -- or the opposite. The aftermarket parts business is largely built upon this, which is good.
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

clmanges, all:
    I own a couple of motorcycles, and a couple of guns. Let me 'cross pollinate', for a bit.
    It is not unusual for me to spend 24 to 36 hours on a bike, stopping only for fuel, at a 300-350 mile interval, if I wish to be somewhere, in a hurry.
    These are not by any means 'New', motorcycles, rather, old, and cherished friends. All have been run by the test of, "what makes you want to get off", many times, and all that stuff has been replaced, sometimes repeatedly, until it was no longer an issue!
    It ain't no different with pistols; there are things that make you love them, and some, that make you wonder: the second group, the 'wonders', need to be analysed, and either fixed, or accepted.
    Top of my list is the mainspring housing; an arched one pushes my shots high, I use nothing but the flat one, as JMB designed. Trigger; long , short, stop, no stop, adjustible, or not, but, if it runs in the same confines, is this an issue, really, or simply a dimensional change?
  14. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

About 8?, give or take, years ago I bought a 1991-A1 brand new Colt .45 from a FFA licensed dealer, which was also a retail outlet/shooting range.

It has a night friendly, sort of flat black combat finish I prefer for a self defence weapon. There are two things I would consider altering.

Comparing the trigger action against the older BHP I have is like trying to compare rough rock to vaginal jelly. The .45 is also very sharp around the edges, which caused me weeks of minor wounds while practicing dis and re assembly.

So, the only thing I would consider are fixes for those two items.

It's on my list of things to do when ... - perhaps the excellent sources here could provide a net link for qualfied gunsmiths in my area (central California, south SF Bay area).

Thank you ladies, gentlemen, and

Keep your powder dry :)

LL
  15. nightfighter

nightfighter New Member

There are pragmatic reasons for modifying a stock 1911. For instance if you are left handed you would benefit from adding an ambidextrous safety. Also, the standard safety is slightly too small and short for fast access and release. The standard slide stop is not far enough to the rear to be operated with the right hand in the shooting position during a magazine change. Likewise the magazine release button is too short for some people to operate without shifting the shooting hand. Lastly the magazine well should be slightly beveled to aid in quick magazine changes. All of these things should have evolved and been included in the process without extra cost by the manufacturers over the years. They are natural improvements that should have been obvious to anyone who is familiar with the 1911 platform. Nevertheless, instead of adding these improvements, they have become expensive custom options.
    Notice that I have not mentioned any aesthetic additions, only functional. Likewise, I have not mentioned trigger work, slide tightening, etc. I have these found out-of-the-box features to be adequate in my Colts.