Anybody know about the Greek church?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpo, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I believe (although I could very well be wrong) that a Roman Priest is not allowed to marry a divorced person, because you get married by God and you marry until "death do you part" so divorce is sin.

I know that the Greek church and the Roman church are similar, but not identical.

So my question is, can a Greek priest (or are they called Patriarchs?) marry a divorced person?

Second question is can a Greek priest marry two people that are not Greek Orthodox?

Both these questions come from movies. In "Mama Mia", Pierce Brosman stands up in church and announces that he is divorced and wants to marry Merryl Streep. And they get married, right then. It was an island in Greece, and the preacher was wearing the white turned-around collar, so I presumed him to be a Greek priest. Then, as I as typing this, I thought about "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", where the boy had to convert to be married to the girl by the priest. Although, that may have been because otherwise it would be a mixed marriage, Greek and non-Greek. So maybe two non-Greeks would be allowed.

And, yes, I realize they can do anything they want in a movie. But some things they do are so different from what I believe is correct that it yanks me out of my "suspension of disbelief", and I want to know if the movie actually is right.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Although I am not Catholic, my understanding is that divorce is not a sin untill one, or both, of the divorced people jumps into the bed of someone else. If what I belive is true, then it follows that the church will not condone a second marrage, nor will they marry a beliver to a non beliver. I could be wrong, the church has made some major changes in the last 20 years. I'm sure though, that someone who really does know will be along in a min. to get us both straight, if need be.
  3. kingchip

kingchip New Member

I was born and raised Methodist, but married Catholic. in my case, significant donations greased the wheel quite a bit to get it done. I did have to attend pre cana classes which I questioned a lot. I'm not sure how a single man, sworn to celibacy, can teach much about being and staying married.
  4. ARB

ARB New Member

A friend of mine married a lady from Romania. She was greek orthidox, so he had to take some classes to become confirmed into the church.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

A Catholic friend of mine married a Baptist friend of mine. They even had a wedding mass. But, being a heathen, she was not allowed to take communion. I believe there is a requirement, when a non-Catholic marries a Catholic, that any children be raised Catholic.
  6. To answer your specific question, Alpo, the Catholic and Orthodox churches view things a bit differently. I found this online. Hope it helps.

"Divorce is permitted in the Orthodox Church for various reasons. The more usual divorce occurs under the pastoral guidance of the spiritual director of the spouses when all attempts at salvaging a marriage have been exhausted. In such cases, remarriage may be possible but there is a special rite for a second marriage which contains a penitential element for the dissolution of the first.

Another type of divorce is what is known as an "ecclesiastical divorce", which does not signify the breakdown of the relationship but is a step taken for the sake of the theosis of the spouses and with the full support and blessing of the Church. This type of divorce may only take place where there is mutual agreement between the two spouses, and is usually carried out in cases where the husband is selected to be consecrated a bishop (as Orthodox bishops are monastic) or where one or both spouses wish to otherwise adopt the monastic lifestyle."
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Please explain why a divorced man would want to remarry to start with ?
    Please I just need to know!!! I love Carla but if she was to go away then I would be single and living in a small motor home and no worries MATE !!
  8. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

--------------^

if at first you don't succeed; cry, cry again
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Boy your right. I too love my wife and would miss her but i would not marry again for anything.
  10. kingchip

kingchip New Member

1st time for love,

2nd time for $$$$$
  11. But kingchip, why buy a cow when milk is so cheap? :D
  12. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

The happiest time of anyone's life is just after the first divorce.
    John Kenneth Galbraith
    US (Canadian-born) administrator & economist (1908 - 2006)

When a woman marries again, it is because she detested her first husband. When a man marries again, it is because he adored his first wife. Women try their luck; men risk theirs.
    Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891
    Irish dramatist, novelist, & poet (1854 - 1900)
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

In this day, marriage has no benefit to the male.
    "Partners" get most of the benefits marrieds do, so what's the point?
    The 'point' is, once you sign zee papers, you have EASILY given up 50%+ of your life/income/time/etc.

Tried it once and didn't like it. Cost me half a mil by the time it was over.

For a guy, it's a substantial risk at best.
    For a gal, it's nothing but possibilities.

What we need is legalized pipe cleaning (if ya know what I mean).

That would be a step in clearing up a LOT of marital problems.
    250 bucks a week for 30 years would have been a bargain in my case.:eek:
  14. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I have seen the magic number of three tossed around (three marriages or three divorces, don't recall) but that was only a few times and I doubt it is used much?

As to marriage, it is going to be up to the priest I think. I'm not sure if they try to set a rule or not though.

Never been involved in marriage or divorce so I don't exactly know the rules :D.