Anybody know anything about NEF?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by potato_sniper, Jun 27, 2003.

1. potato_sniper

potato_sniper New Member

Hey all,
    Before anybody goes movin' this over to the BP forum, hear me out. I was thinking of asking the 'rents for a BP gun for my birthday this year. They said they'd probably get it for me if it was under $200(I may have to chip in a bit). Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone had any experience with New England Firearms?

I was thinking of buying myself a handi-rifle in 45-70 and then maybe having ma and da get it fitted with a Black Powder Barrel for my birthday.

2. If I got a spare forearm solely for the BP barrel, could I have a gunsmith convert it back and forth between the 45-70 and the BP barrel? Or, could I do it myself?

3. Are these rifles accurate? I'd like to be able to hunt out to about 75 yrds open sights with either the BP or the 45-70. It goes without saying that I'd have to have considerable practice with either to do this.

The idea of having two barrels for one gun is awesome, but not if I have to wait six weeks turn around time every time I want to change them.

I know that the logical answer would be to just by a T/C with a couple different barrels, but unfortunately, I'm not independently wealthy.

Thanks All.
  2. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

I can only answer the question about the range and accuracy. My daughter has a NEF in 280 break action and it is a very accurate rifle. The 45 70 will easily handle the ranges yo are talking about. As for being able to fit a BP barrel to the action I do not know if that would work or not,maybe one of the other fellas will be able to answer that one. Sounds like a neat concept though keep me informed I would be interested in something like that.
  3. Dan70

Dan70 Member

Check out www.hr1871.com Other barrels can be fitted if gun is newer than 1987. Hope this helps.
    Click on Barrel Accessory Program.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2003
  4. Sir Bug

Sir Bug New Member

Hello Dan70,

That is a great piece of information about the barrels. Thank you for the link.

Welcome to the group. Holler if you need anything, and keep those cards and letters coming.

Your Friend in Dixie,

Sir Bug