Anybody know how to tan a hide?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Country101, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Country101

Country101 Active Member

There's a coyote I been wantin to kill and he's got a pertty coat on him. I figure if I take him out I might just keep him for a rug or somethin. What all is involved in tanning him?
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Here's a page I found with some pretty clear directions. I've never tanned a hide or pelt myself, so I can't vouch for the accuracy. I'm sure there are lots of different methods out there, and hopefully some of our members will chime in with their techniques.

My ex tried to tan a possum pelt once, just for the heck of it. He threw it away halfway through the process because it smelled so bad he couldn't stand to get near it. :eek: :p Possums are stinky critters, y'know. ;) :D

http://papa.essortment.com/smallhideshow_rioi.htm
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  3. AlleninAlaska

AlleninAlaska New Member

Northwest Tanning

Checkout this site. You caan also do a google search for fur tanning kits.
  4. TedW

TedW New Member

If those sources doesn't work, ask my dad. When I was a kid, he used to do a REALLY good job of tanning my hide!!!! :eek:
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Thanks yall. I'll be looking into those sites.

SoMo, trust me, I know them rascals stink. My dog used to bring them up to the house so he could use them for a chew toy. Had one by the front porch for about 2 weeks cause every time I would go to pick it up my dog would have dragged it to another location and I couldn't find it. P-U! :D
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Take a look at the "FOXFIRE" series of books. I have mine out on loan right now so I can't tell you which volume to search. I think it is volume 3, but not sure. It will say on the cover something about tanning or trapping or such.

I have some info on my drive which I can send you if you want. Too much to post here.

I like these guys: <http://www.adirondackoutdoor.com/tanning.htm>

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2004
  7. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Gotta agree with armedandsafe on the Foxfire series. Get them all. They are not only full of practical information, they are a history lesson and an antropology study rolled together.

They detail a couple of different methods, and the one using alum worked great for me. Got this Brooklyn yankee boy tanning hides like a pro. I haven't done it for a while and my books are in deep storage, but I did a couple of red fox pelts and a bobcat. Came out beauty!