AnyBody Know winchester 1873?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by builder, Jul 24, 2011.

1. builder

builder New Member

Bought Winchester 1873 at auction two things I cannot figure out. First it has a knurl of metal sticking up behind the trigger and a empty screw hole (first 2 pictures) Gunsmith said it must of had another sight at one time but he was not sure what. I looked at tang and marble sights and they seem to have two screw holes. Any ideas what it is for?

Second - the lever does not catch under the finger lever latch. (Next 2 pictures). I cannot figure out why. Either the tip of the lever that catches under the latch is to short or the latch is too short. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have been checking agaiinst an 1873 and it looks to me like both the lever and the lever latch have been cut down. (They normally don't engage by very much, only about 2mm.) It was not uncommon for folks to remove the latch or make it inoperative so it wouldn't engage accidentally, but it looks to me like someone wanted to make sure.

As to that lug behind the hammer, beats me. That is where there should be another screw hole (many, if not most '73's were factory drilled and tapped for tang sights).

I am puzzled by what looks like a hole just behind the left sideplate. It is too far forward for the sling ring staple, so I wonder what it is for.

Jim
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Cant help with the lever action but the tang mounts looks like a sure-sight mount

it was a after market tang mounted rear sight or vernier site

the front pillar fits the forward part and you screwed a knurled knob to lock it on it guarenteed to be able to hold zero for many mounting and removals

i copied my tang sight from one of these a long time ago but i did not do the propriety mounting , these came out just before WW1 as far as i know , i dont know the nation or origin, i think its US and i know theres a patent doc for the US ( as thats what i copied ) but as to the exact one , i aint got a clue , sorry, memory aint what it used to be
  4. sliclee

sliclee New Member

The turning piece of metal behind the lever is to hold the lever closed. Looks like the end of the lever was cut down.
    The hole on the left side receiver belongs there to help put rifle back together again.
    The piece sticking out of the tang behind the hammer is?? never saw before. Take it apart you'll know.
    On bottom tang, one is screw to turn put pressure on the hammer spring, the furthur on end is to hold stock in place with longer top tang screw.
    Dont go back to the gunsmith that didnt know Winchester.
    Go to www.marauders.com, open look at Win 73 exploded, enjoy.:)
  5. 2bit

2bit New Member

Builder,

The lever has been ground down a bit so that it can engage the latch. Not sure why someone would do that when it is easy enoughto just turn the latch so that the lever can be secured. Oh well you never know witht some folks. I have included a photo of one of mine for comparison.

I did also notice that the stock has been dramatically sanded down and is undersized where it meets the receiver. In your second photo you can see how different it is from one side to the other.

Michael[​IMG]
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Sliclee,

You wrote, "The hole on the left side receiver belongs there to help put rifle back together again."

I don't recall seeing another 1873 with a hole in that position. Is it a gunsmith trick or how was it used in assembly?

Jim