Anybody recognize this nameplate?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by DLtodd, Dec 16, 2007.

1. DLtodd

DLtodd New Member

This is a percussion cap rifle or shotgun made in america I believe. I don't have any information or history on this piece. Can anyone give me a clue

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  2. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

sure is pretty. fancy in it's day.
  3. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Try a search on W&C Scott.
  4. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

if the name is on the locks it may not be the gun maker only the lock maker.
  5. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Judgeinbg by the way the SCOTT is in the netal or rather raised up on the netal, the lock maker is the SCOTT. That lock is what we call a "Belgium Back Action lock" now that does not mean it is Belgium made but rather it is of that style. That style lock was first produced around 1850 or so and was supposed to be cheaper to make and simpler in operation that a standard forward action lock. With the SCOTT being raised, it looks to be a poured lock plate in a mold that had the SCOTT engraved in it thus you get the raised SCOTT. That puts it as a mass produced lock so judging by that I would say it is a 1870s or maybe later style gun, check the gauge because it would not suprise me if it is 10ga although it could be smaller. I would say you are possibly right as to US made and sold in hardware stores. about any small metal shop in those days would produce parts or even whole guns to sell, sort of like the single shot shotguns of the early 1900s. Now with that said there is a small possibility it is of Englis or even Irish make BUT I would take the barrels off and lok for more markings. IF you can take the barrels off and post all markings on the barrels, locks, or any metal parts, I might be able tpo narrow down the time period moore and mabe come up with a maker of that nice looking antique double barrel cap lock shotgun.
  6. DLtodd

DLtodd New Member

Thanks for that info. It's all good execpt the Scott is engraved, not raised. The bore is no more than .410. It is a single barrel, single lock, not a double barrel. I guess I should have supplied better pics. Sorry, DT
  7. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Sorry about the mistake, looks like a double barrel. Now that it is a single barrel, that answers a LOT of questions in it self. Single Barrels were mostly here in the US, not to say some were of European but they mostly were here in the states. I am betting you have a gun from the late 1800s to early 1900s (maybe about the time of WWI). As to teh SCOTT, I am betting he was just teh lock maker. Liek I said, every small shop made guns to sell at hard ware stores, some even being bycycle companies that made guns as a side business. They usually bought the locks from a company andthese locks were mass produced. Chances are that lock was made in Ireland, England, or Belgium then shipped to the states. I would still be VERY interested in any otehr marking at all on any metal parts including teh underneath of the barrel. IF at all possible, like I stated above, take the lock and barrel off teh wood, look for any and all markings, and try to take pictures of them if any. That will tell me a lot about who could have made the gun. I would also be very interested in gauge of it, being single barrel, I would bet 16 or 20 but could be wrong. I would not be afraid to shoot it once it was given a good going over by someone who knows BP guns if I were you. I shoot all mine and love it, I have a MANTON double barrel shotgun made in 1800s in England and it shoots GREAT!
  8. bullstone

bullstone New Member

DL: I have one that appears to be identical to yours .Where on it did you find the Scott inlay??If you look at mine behind the hammer it has a hunting scene engraved showing what appears to be rabbits and small game.lets compare and research together.-Larry
  9. MisterEd

MisterEd New Member

A good friend of mine custom builds blackpowder rifles and yours looks very similar to some of the english designs he makes. This link is an excellent resource though.
    http://www.antiqueguns.com/