Anybody shoot .32 HR Mag through their Nagants?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by polishshooter, Mar 14, 2011.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Years ago when I got my first M-95 Nagant Revolver for like $49.99, I wanted to buy a .32acp repalcement cylinder but they had dried up, and THEN learned what a pain they can be to fit, for every one that "dropped" in 3 more guys wrecked their's fitting it, so I'm glad I didn't waste the money.

But years ago guys told of what they shot through theirs in lieu of shooting expensive Nagant ammo, and a few, VERY few said they shot .32 HR Mag through theirs but I always thought that was pushing it.

AND I happened across some cheap Aquila RNL.32 S&W Long for like $8.95/50, so bought a box and it works fine for plinking, cases bulge a little, might BE RELOADABLE, the cases back out of the chambers SLIGHTLY so makes the cylinder rotate just a little harder on DA, but who shoots these DA anyway?:p Accuracy is like 10 inches at 10 yds, but a HELLUVA lot cheaper than $35 or more Nagant ammo. Since then I have picked up maybe 3 more boxes of it at shows, usually on tables with mixed ammo that I pick up cheap, always less than $10/50 but it is getting harder to find.

One of the "problems" I had heard about with the replacement .32acp cylinders was with FMJ acp bullets "jumping" the gap from the end of the cartridge to the barrel, the chamber end of the barrel would crack, since there was no "forcing cone" like other revolvers since the Nagant casing actually fits INTO the barrel on firing. I just inspected mine this morning again and there is no wear, cracks, or surprisingly, much leading from the 50 or so .32 S&W Long 100gr RNL bullets I've fired since I cleaned it last. I think I am OK if I stick to lead bullets for it.

I still have maybe half a box of the surplus nagant target wadcutters that are about as powerful as a .22lr, but even that is hard to find now. I kind of expected a flood of cheap combloc Nagant ammo to hit us by now like the 7.62x25 has, but it hasn't developed yet.

But yesterday in a "Backwoodsman" magazine there was a guy writing about "alternative' ammo and he wrote that he shoots .32 HR Mag through his Nagant regularly, and even reloads it for it.

I have always intended to buy a couple of boxes of Nagant factory boxer ammo and then dies and start reloading for it, but never got around to it, but before I do I wanted to know if anybody else has tried the HR Mag through it and how it works.

Thanks!

Yeah I KNOW that EVERYBODY should ALWAYS use the proper ammo for the firearm, but there are ALWAYS sensible exceptions to otherwise 'Ironclad" rules in life....:cool:
  2. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

I reload 32-20 cases for mine. Some are slightly oversize close to base and I turned them down to slide in freely.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have fired .32 H&R Magnum through a Nagant, but not with the original cylinder. I got one of those .32 ACP cylinders and reamed it so it takes .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Magnum. Pretty versatile as that makes 5 calibers with the original cylinder. The gun is still a collectors item, IMHO. It is a late 19th century design, made to solve a problem that didn't exist and, while it served the Russians well, it is simply not a practical gun for any serious use unless nothing better is available.

Jim
  4. polishshooter

Do you reload it with Nagant dies as a Nagant round with the bullet down in the case alittle ways or as a short .32-20? I've heard guys do it both ways....

I heard of guys doing this, and even have an old loaded .32-20 round that fits but is JUST too long for the chamber with the bullet in it. Plus I would be a little scared to shoot a full house .32-20 round in it, that frame is pretty strong I know but I've seen ones on many other revolvers that LOOKED stronger....

Plus it's tougher to find .32-20 brass now too, right? If I'm going to buy the stuff to reload for the .32-20 I think I might as well go for the regular nagant ammo. All I'd have to do is "bite the bullet" for a couple of boxes of that $35 ammo and I would have 100 cases...

Or else I keep banging away with the .32 S&W Long, it's not like I shoot it THAT much.

5. polishshooter

But then again, my son and I used to shoot Skeet a a range that also had a "Cowboy Action" range and that looked like fun, and one day he suggested since he supposedly read that my Nagant would qualify as a "Cowboy" gun, that I should start shooting Cowboy and come up with my "personna" as some Polish Immigrant right off the boat that was a deserter from the Czar's Army or something...he said the scores I gave up shooting the Nagant against the Colts and Remingtons I OUGHT to make up in the shotgun segments with my '97 riot:):D:D:D....:p