Anybody turkey hunting??

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by flannelman, Apr 20, 2009.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have been twice since season opend but I havent killed one yet. I had a gobbler talking to me opening morning but he never would come on in for me. Last Thursday morning I called in two hens and a jake but I didn't really have a shot on the jake so I let them walk. I haven't killed a turkey and have only been hunting them for a few years but I'm having fun!! I'm going back out this Thursday to try again.
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

not sure if i am going to make it this year. good luck to ya
  3. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Started hunting them last year and it is fun. Nice time of the year to be out too. Been getting called in to work every day but next week I'll have Sun, Mon, Tues off so I'll get out there. Maybe I'll get one this year.

As Catfish always says, post some pictures.
  4. 1911fan

1911fan New Member

I shot a 20 lb tom on Saturday its the only bird I saw or heard all day.;)
  5. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Congrats on the bird! I hope you all get to go out this year.
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

These pic's were shot in my front yard last week.
    I toss them a little shelled corn out the front door, and they are so tame now that they gobble and come running when I call them.

Very interesting critters - -

Of course, the deer like corn too -

But at this stage of my life, I only shoot them with a camera -

Attached Files:

7. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Season up here don't open until two weeks from today. I've been scouting and calling. Lots around. We only get a limit of one in Spring, and one in the Fall. The season here is basically the whole month of May, and ONE WEEK in the Fall, unless...

...unless you hunt with a bow, which I do in the Fall because then the season is from September 15th to December 15th. Helluva lot more challenging with a bow. I'm planning to hunt turkey in the Springtime with a bow also. Its too easy with a shotgun. Call on in and BLAM! His head gets turned to jelly.
  8. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Great pictures there. I sure miss my main pain doe as she apparently didn't make it through the hard winter :(.But never fear I have a small yearling that appears to be attempting to replace her. Thanks again for the neat pics. :D catfish
  9. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

catfish, we have about 30 deer that feed in the yard now. They are so comfortable here that they lay down in the lawn during the day, waiting for my wife to come out and feed them.

When we moved here 30 years ago, we never saw any game at all; the place was barren. We closed it and posted it. Then one day in the winter I found a young doe hanging with her back legs caught in the barbed-wire fence. I cut her free, but her back legs were frozen solid. Judy and I carried her up to the house, and i poured warm water over her frozen legs and kept massaging them until the barbed wire cuts started oozing blood, and I knew they were thawed out. We carried her back to the brush at the back of our garden and bedded her down. Judy carried corn, hay and water to her every day, and one day after a couple weeks of this, she was gone.
    The next spring, she showed up with a fawn.
    The next spring, she showed up with the yearling and twin fawns.
    The next spring - - etc., with kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, etc. to the present 30, which seems to be the population limit; more than that wander off of our place and are harvested.

We also have groundhog, fox, squirrel, coyote, and LOTS of birds -
    In fact, I feed out about 200 lbs of sugar per season to just the hummingbirds.
    Little darlins are just now starting to show up here. After their trip back across the gulf of mexico, they came right to the living room window a couple weeks ago, and let me know they wanted their feeders put back up.
    I have only one feeder out right now, as there are only three or four birds. When they all get here, I will have seven feeders out, which I will have to refill several times a day -

LOVE it!
    Last edited: May 6, 2009