anybody use brown bear ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by skullfr, Jul 25, 2012.

1. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I have a cz-82 in 9x18 and I always use silver bear ammo because it is nickle plated and feeds flawleely.I tried some wolf once and it is horrible.I picked up some Brown Bear as it is all they had.It seems ok but it is lacqueredsteel case.Does anyone use these.
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Brown bear blew up my AK (I think, not 100% on that) and the case of 9mm I bought shot OK but it fouled up the bore very quick and it looked like the 4th of July every time a round went. Tons of sparks and flames.

I have avoided it since, I much prefer Wolf myself.
  3. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I couldnt get the wolf to even get 1 mag out for ftf.It was the most horrible stuff I bought.I dont care about flame.If it us used in SD I can just burn his eyes.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

silver bear is zinc plated steel. Brown bear is laquer coated and golden bear is honest to god brass cases..

I dont much care for any of them as i am a self admitted ammo snob. but they are certainly better than having no ammo to shoot.
  5. skullfr

skullfr New Member

Well I wanted silver bear but all they had and I wanna go do some stress relieving tommorrow
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

it's good blazing ammo for sure, all of mine went boom and cycled well thru my hi-power. I've just always had great experiences with Wolf. Sucks to hear you had some FTF with Wolf. I just had 3 shotgun primers in a row not go off, I've never even had one before.

I did a 'rusty ammo test' with some wolf AK ammo; left about 15 rounds roll around the bed of my pickup getting rained on for a few months and loaded them up all nasty and rusted; all fired and functioned perfect. Most of the ammo seems to be sealed well at both the bullet/case mouth and primer pocket. Brown and Silver Bear both look like equal quality in the AK rounds compared to Wolf.
  7. skullfr

skullfr New Member

maybe it was a bad lot but I just wont take a chance.I fired the brown bear today and had zero fails out of 150 rounds.I just feel better using these.I only use them in 7.62x39 in my sks and mini draco.Not really a problem there.I am very picky when it comes to fails and will not take a chance.It has to be a proven round to me before I use it exclusively.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I use Brown Bear 9X18 in my CZ-82 also. Never had any problems with it.