The Firearms Forum banner

Anybody use QD scope mounts?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Country101 
#1 ·
I am looking into them right now. I want to be able to hunt and do long range shooting, but that may mean that 1 scope may not work and I would have to have two setups. I was thinking about using 2 qd mounts so I could trade out the glass depending on the situation or travel/storage.

I've been looking at La Rue, which is definitely a top name from what I gather, and Talbot. Talbot is supposed to be better, from the little info that is available. They dont have anything on their website to look at though.

Is anybody doing something similar? If so, what do you have, how do you like it, etc.

#3 ·
Re: Anybody us QD scope mounts?

How about finding a scope that meets your needs for both? You didnt mention criteria for either but I assume you want some decent magnification for long range, and also a lower power for hunting use? What powers are you wanting? They started coming out with scopes that actually allow you to change the magnification from a low power setting, up to a higher power, with just a turn of a ring. Pretty neat, aint it?

#4 · (Edited)

I use them but you didn't tell us what gun you are wanting to use them on.

A bolt action? AR15?

Two different animals.

So...

I use LaRue on my AR's.

(note: LaRue does include a few goodies as seen in pic)

Others for AR15;
Burris PEPR Q.D.
ADM QD
Bobro QD

I use Luepold QR (Quick Release) mounts and rings on my Rem 700 bolt action I use for bear. With the bear gun I want either a scope or to be able to remove it and go with the open sights if need be.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/quick-release-mounting-systems/

#5 ·

I will be putting it on a savage bolt action, if I get my way. I emailed la rue and they said to use the lt 120. Just trying to see if anybody else had any experience with them.

I also emailed talbots, but apparently they dont want to sell any. No pics or info on their website and no response to my email.

#6 ·

The Leupold's I posted above would work well then.

One mount and two sets of rings, switching scopes would be easy.

I have never had a problem with them, always zeroed when I remove and put the scope back on the rifle. Been using this setup for about 15 years or so.

And your total cost would be less than one LaRue mount. And your scope will be closer to the bore.

#7 ·

How often do you remove the leupold mounts?

I hadnt seriously looked at them yet. The others were what I generally saw recommended. I will do some more checking into the leupold. Thanks for the info.

#8 ·

How often do you remove the leupold mounts?

I hadnt seriously looked at them yet. The others were what I generally saw recommended. I will do some more checking into the leupold. Thanks for the info.
How often?

I used to once per year. Before bear season I would shoot a group to test the zero, then remove scope and test zero of open sights with a shot or two, then remount the scope and fire a few more. It keeps zeroed. I want this gun right before I go hunting a critter that can hurt me.:D

But I guess now I finally trust the setup and only check the scope zero before bear season just to be sure. I don't bother with the open sights or rechecking zero afterward. It always worked.

I rarely see these mounts and rings for sale, I thought they quit making them. Happy to see they are still being made since I do want to buy another set for a different rifle. They did cost a lot less when I bought the first ones!

#9 ·
#11 ·
I used a 4-16x40, good for all sortsa ranges...no need to change it out...

Especially if you've taken the time to range your weapon properly...and know which mildot is good for what ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.