Anyone been shootin' rimfire a long time?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by FishGuy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. FishGuy

FishGuy New Member

If so, how does todays ammo compare to the ammo you used to shoot (ie 20, 30, even 40 years ago)?? Just curious
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cleaner on the whole as accurate? accurate stuff then was pricey compared to plinking ammo too

way cheaper on the whole though too

i found a brick ( 10 boxes of 50 ) marked 6:95 that i bought way back and left at families house way back ..
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Mostly good but I have more fail to fire now than I used to have. I think the huge quantity they pump out today compared to 30-40 years ago made a difference. My old standard for match ammo was green box Remington standard velocity ammo and then it just went down hill and others took its place as the standard match round. Eley used to be my go to round for a long range match ammo but now its Winchester Super X. I have others in my cabinet that are more expensive but they don't shoot any better. Of course that could be my fault.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Remington Golden bullets used to be very good ammo back in the 70's. It's not worth fooling with now. CCI was top notch then as now. The Stingers sucked in the accuracy dept. when they first came out. Haven't bought any of them since around 76.
  5. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Definitely less fail to fire rounds then. As a side note I actually swallowed a couple Winchesters in the late 70's. My dad had a winchester model 5 something singleshot bottom auotejector rifle that was dead nuts to 100 yards. Well because it wasn't a repeater I got in the habit of carrying a round in my lips for a fast reload if the woodchuck didn't die ASAP! As you can guess there were a couple that went down the hatch. never even felt "off" after eating one LOL
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

CCI mini Mag .. ;)
  7. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

The CCI used to be 9.99 a brick of 500. I swear it had more recoil. firearms that would cycle great struggle unless you use higher velocity stuff today. Accuracy is no difference that I can tell. Ammo might have gotten a little less accurate and I got a little better so the difference is not noticeable.
  8. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

While we are on the subject of rimfire, what brands are more likely to have FTF problems? For the last two years I have shot on the average 200 rounds a week with zero FTF. Most of what I use is Fed Auto Match, followed by Fed bulk, Win SS HP Wolf MT, And SK Std +
    95% of my shooting has been with CZ bolts with the remainder being Henry lever and 10/22's.
    Have I been lucky, or is the norm?
  9. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

bamajoey
    I would be surprised if you didn't post good results from those firearms.

I use mainly winchester 333 and federal bulk pack 22lr. I get what seems like weak rounds with the federal once in a while but it seems like I get more rounds failing to fire even with a decent rim hit. I don't remember that from days gone by (ain't gettin old great)
  10. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

More money, but everything costs more! Accuracy about the same.:)
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

When I was a kid I would ride my bike into the LGS and pick up 3 bricks of Winchester Wildcat ammo for $9 a brick. We would then burn up all 1500 rounds the next day out on mudflat rd. Oh the days of burning through all that ammo and just laughing and having fun.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The days of the $4.95 bricks are long gone. I got my first .22 when I was about 10 years old, so I guess I have been shooting them for 50 years. Like a couple of folks said, there is a lot more FTF's now. Accuracy is about the same, unless you take into consideration the older eyes!!
  13. denglazer

denglazer New Member

Received a cut down Win. 67 on my 7th birthday(1954). Both Win.and Rem. shorts were .49 cents a box and both were very accurate. Can't ever remember having a FTF out of thousands of rounds.Still have that old rifle.
  14. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My old Savage single shot bolt action will fire rounds that my 10/22 won't and unlike that gun and my Marlin 60 it doesn't care what bullet shape, weight or brand I feed into it. Same with my old H&R 922. It will fire ammo that my S&W M41 won't even feed let alone fire and it flat out don't matter what it is. I don't remember having the same problem 40 years ago but then I probably didn't buy as wide a variety of ammo then since my toy stores had a limited selection.
  15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Bolt actions, lever actions and revolvers, especially older revolvers with hammer mounted firing pins will always be more reliable than semi's.