Anyone been shootin' rimfire a long time?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by FishGuy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. bbqznbeer

bbqznbeer New Member

Waay back in the '70's it was a company called "Imperial " that was quite common for us Canucks, but I found they wern't near as good as a proir brand called " Dominion " that was just phasing out when I was getting started.
    Then Winchester Wildcats came along and were alot more dependable.
    Nearly 40yrs later I still shoot Winchester , Dynapoints mostly
    Todays ammo is alot better .
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

My last run at the range yielded so many FTF that I was compelled to replace the firing pin on one of the .22's, though it was probably coincidental that the majority were with 1 of 3 that I took, but it was really tickin me off! (bulk Fed. ammo) I haven't made it back to test yet but I still have about 100 rounds in that box so we'll see.
  3. FishGuy

FishGuy New Member

Looks like the biggest change has been the price (not very surprising). Thanks for sharing everyone
  4. north tex

north tex Member

I'm just about finished with a Fed 550 pack. Used in a couple different guns and have not had any misfires. Was just thinking I need to go get another one.:)
  5. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Yeah, that's what I've been using for years with decent performance.
    Oh crap! It just dawned on me right now, my last trip to buy ammo I grabbed the bulk Winchester just to try them out! I completely forgot, my last few hundred have been Winchester! My bad.
    Well with that in mind I still don't want to blame it on the rounds before a retest as it could be the weapons firing pin etc.. I've talked to plenty of people who use the Winchester with no problem. I'll stick with my feds anyway though.
  6. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Only .22s I avoid are Remington yellow jackets. They used to jam, fail-to-fire, stove-pipe, and other hiccups, and I blamed the ammo, but it turned out to be the gun. After fixing the problems with my Marlin, they functioned flawlessly, and are decently accurate, but I just don't like the bullet shape design.

[​IMG]
  7. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Yeah, that is one ugly bullet! :)
  8. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I got several cartons of Fed. Lightning .22s that go back to the 70-80's and havent been stored under the best of conditions....They still shoot every time and function in most of my semi autos, pistols and rifles...Sig P220/22 doesnt like them at all, but its very partial to Mini-mags anyway...

Cant say Ive compared on paper with todays fodder, but I suspect they will shoot well enough for cans, turtles, varmints..etc...That might just be an idea for a trial one day.....Grandson loves them cuz he shoots fast..;).and theres no restrictions on how many he shoots...:D ...may as well shoot them up and replenish with newer stuff..Just got to load his own magazines..Best price I got on these old timers was about $9 a carton...