The Firearms Forum banner

...anyone carry an N frame 44 mag. revolver in public?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  troutwest66 
#1 ·
I bought a couple of smaller K/L frames recently and I am able to carry them outside the waist without much trouble. One is a round frame and one is square.

....just now thinking of getting a 44 mag but would do so only if I could carry it concealed.

Does a round frame or square butt make a difference in ease of carry to you? I'm new to revolvers.

#2 ·
Depends both on the style of carry and the grips.

Strong-side hip carry, with a square butt, is gonna be more noticeable than a cross-draw. Round butt with small grips will conceal easier than square butt with small grips,but if they have large grips it don't matter - neither will conceal easily.

AND, rubber grips grab the cover-garment, yelling LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME to anyone that pays attention.

Reactions: raven818
#3 ·
Many years ago I carried a 4 inch 629. I used an all leather "Dirty Harry" style shoulder rig. Had rounded rubber Pachmier grip on the 629. Trying to carry with the S&W full size wood stocks was out of the question. It was too noticeable under light clothing. After about a year of that I started looking for something smaller and much lighter. That weight does get tiresome on the shoulder on 12 to 16 hour day.

#4 ·
The only comfortable way to carry the larger frame revolver for me was to have it in a holster that dropped down from the belt i.e. gun belt and during open carry. I've been carrying since 1969 and very rarely go into hot spots that I often frequented when younger. Then I carried for the most part a S&W Model 66 in .357 with 125 grn jacketed hps with a 4" barrel, in either a belt holster or shoulder holster. I then went to a S&W Sigma in .40 with the same type holsters. From there a Glock Model 27 in .40 (compact) and later used a Wolf barrel kit to change it to 9mm. Now I'm usually walking around with a .380 in a belt holster, fanny pack, or a little man purse. Can't wear a shoulder holster (bad discs), body is too wide for any other type. And during the summer in swim wear there's a good chance I'll have a .22 freedom arms somewhere.

#6 ·
I put Hogue Pau Ferro wood grips on my Model 29. Shouldn't grab clothing and comfortable to shoot even with full loads (XTP 240 grain H110 23 grains) Mines a 6 inch so no concealed for it. I do want to go to a 4 inch instead since I have a 460 XVR for hunting and the 29 is for back up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.