Anyone else here Bowhunt?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

44rugerfan
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/16/01 11:02:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Anyone else here Bowhunt?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey! Anyone else here like to play robin hood? I like bowhunting for the challenge and the fact that the season opens a month and a half before rifle and doesn't end until the first week of January. I have a PSE bow that I like very very much, it is awesomely accurate. Let's here from some of you out there!
    The Trademark Of Reliability

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/16/01 7:42:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Anyone else here Bowhunt?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've bow hunted the past 3 years, still havn't taken a shoot though. Hunt with an older compound bow.
    To run from trouble is foolish, to look for it... even more so

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/16/01 7:58:47 pm)
    I enjoy bowhunting more than hunting with a firearm. I used to hunt with a PSE Mach4. I had it turned up way to high and hurt my shoulder and had to use a crossbow for a couple of years. Last year I got back into compounds a little late in the year, but I plan on changing that this year. Shooting a Mathews Q2 now. It's awsome. Fastest, flatest shooting bow I'v ever drawn....

What kind of arrows and broadheads do you guys use?

Steve

44rugerfan
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/17/01 2:46:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Anyone else here Bowhunt?
    Let's see, arrows 2213 aluminums, broadheads 125-grain three-blade muzzy's. Started with Wasp's, but they windplaned like you would not believe. You?

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/17/01 7:20:23 am)
    Carbon, they shoot flatter for me and hold up better. I use Rockett Mech three blade broadheads in 100 grains. I've read a lot of articles talking about the bad side of the mech broadheads. But I've always had good luck with them. I started using them about six years ago and have taken several whitetails with them and a couple of hogs. I started using them because I couldnt get the wasps I was using to stop plaining on me as well.

One thing I have noticed about the rocketts. On a slower bow they dont open up nowhere near as well. By slower I mean anything under 210fps or so. Maybe thats the reason for the bad press?

Steve

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/18/01 10:58:27 am)
    Bowhunter here. I am still shooting my Onieda Screaming Eagle bought in the late 80's. Got a Newer PSE recurve and a newer Martin also. Don't shoot the newer ones to much saving them for the kids. Might use the recurve on deer this year though. Going to try to get a praire dog with the Screaming Eagle this fall.

I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor. If the women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy. Red Green. I am the ILLUSTRIOUS POTENTATE!

kdubaz
    (8/18/01 11:50:37 pm)
    I'd be more dangerous and more likely to hit my target if I carried a pocket full of rocks!

Admire the skill of an accomplished bow hunter - don't have the time of day for a mediocre one, same as for a bad gun hunter. Have shot enough deer and elk that still had broadheads in them to question the ability of some. The worst snake scare I ever had was a time I stepped on the rear shaft of an errant razor insert broadhead laying acrossss a small deadfall. It slapped up against my pant leg and I just knew a big ol' copperhead had done got me! Made a small cut in the pants, but didn't break skin, which was fortunate, as the blades were rust spotted.

I could qualify by age to use a crossbow next year - archers have a pretty good deal going here in Ariz. - they can buy a January deer permit over the counter. If not used, or no deer tagged, they can apply again for the fall hunt. Gun hunters can only apply for one permit a year in a drawing - no over the counter. The state has considered limiting the bowhunters to only one tag a year, but there was such a howl by them, the state dropped the proposal. My personal opinion is that everyone ought to be limited to one permit per species per year, other that those that are once-in-a-lifetime tags (Buffalo, Rocky Mtn Sheep).
    Keep below the ridgeline!

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/19/01 1:37:50 am)
    I am glad to bump into this topic, I have never bowhunted but this morning I was helping my Dad with some chores and ran across his bow and the one he bought us as kids. He gave them to me!! I couldn't believe it!! One is a 35# Browning Mowhawk and the other is a Bear 42# Tigercat. I have to go to a shop to get a release and some target arrows and a target to get started. I know enough about a bow to fill a knats ass at a thousand yards, what should I be looking for?

44rugerfan
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/19/01 11:28:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Anyone else here Bowhunt?
    Get an eternity target, basically a burlap bag filled with thick cotton down. They last a long time.
    Release you can go with rope or caliper, personal choice. Rope is a little more accurate and easier on your bowstring. Caliper is easier. Stay away from the back tension releases for now. Being as this is your first time with a bow, I would get about 6 cheap aluminium arrows for each bow until you figure out if you like archery or not. If you do, then you can get some of the more expensive stuff. Be sure to have the shop guy check your bow over and have him put a new string and cables (if the bow is compound). Then go out and shoot! Good luck!

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/19/01 11:14:31 pm)
    I can't see how you guys can shoot with a release. I have tried it a couple times and it feels like I have no control at all. Seems like it is by remote control or something. First time I did it I about crapped my pants it felt like the bow went off by itself. I am not knocking them ,I am sure they work because they are by far how most archers shoot, but I think I will be a fingers guy forever.

I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor. If the women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy. Red Green. I am the ILLUSTRIOUS POTENTATE!

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/20/01 1:32:52 am)
    44Rugerfan,

Went and had the bows checked out and got some arrows, gloves, forarm protectors and a block target. My six year old and I flung all afternoon my six year old was so amped up the little bugger could pull that #35!! What a kick. Ya ever seen a six year old that can't quit smiling!! Then he got mad the sun went down!! My wife thinks this may be trouble down the road (as I stuff the PSE Catalog between the couch cushions).
    Is that a pickle in your pocket???........

SXSMAN
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/01 10:57:24 pm)
    I still hope to get through this season and then deal with my shoulder.I wanted a new Mathews Q2

but now I'm very glad I waited.I think I can still cock my Horton crossbow,haven't tried yet though.

Hope everyone has a great season.