Anyone ever have this happen?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by MisterEd, Feb 12, 2005.

1. MisterEd

MisterEd New Member

In over 25 years of reloading I have never had this happen. This morning My daughter and I were reloading some .45 ACP to go shooting today and while depriming some WW brass it was as though the primer "stuck" to the brass where it bottoms out and when the old primer was punched out a large hole was left rather than the standard primer orifice. It happend on about five WW brass cases but no others. Any ideas?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Are these WCC brass? If they are military, then they have the primers crimped in. You need to be careful when depriming them the first time, then swage the primer pocket before the new primer will go in. Got a picture?
  3. HiPressure

HiPressure New Member

Was it the flash-hole or the primer pocket? I've opened up the flash-hole by having the decapping pin adjusted too far down (waaayy down, brain fart moment), but I've never had the pocket enlarged other than many, many loadings.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I haven't seen this for years, but we used (early '50s, scavenged mil issue) to get .45ACP rounds with a very large primer hole, with a sleeve which contained the primer. I wasn't reloading .45 at the time, but some friends told me they were not reloadable because you couldn't get the primer out without taking the insert. The sleeve was definitely larger than any primer I have ever seen.

I have no idea what they were originally used for, and never saw many.

Pops
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Pops,
    That was not an insert, that was the crimp. You could push the primer out, carefully and then swag the rpimer pocket to take out the crimp. I just used a pocket knife and went around the edge of the pocket at a 45 degree angle. Worked just fine. RCBS sells a primer pocket swage with both sm and large primer pockets.

IPT