Anyone ever try to make a stock from scratch?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mauserman454, Mar 9, 2005.

1. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

Hi Guys, I just bought a Remington made French Berthier Rifle off of Gunbroker.com for $125.00. It was partially Sporterized by someone.

When it arrived I cleaned the bore, and the bore looks almost unfired, so it's really worth saving.

The metal was untouched, and I've ordered all of the metal pieces I was missing, ie barrel bands, buttplate etc. I found them all except for the front band, which will pop up on e-bay sooner or later...

However, I'm missing the stock. I'm really coming up short on that one. So I'm thinking I might buy a stock blank, and try to reproduce a stock. I have the sproterized stock to copy the action inletting from, and I've taken some pictures of a unsporterized stock from the internet, inserted them into AutoCad, traced them, and then scaled up the tracing to full size. I can print out the whole stock life size on the plotter at work.

So I have a pretty good set of blueprints, and a sporterized stock to use as a guide... The few dimensions I'm missing I could probably get from fellow forum members with complete rifles...

I'm somewhat confident in my skills, I've done a couple of semi inletted boyds stocks before, and they came out well...

I'm not certain where to start on a whole stock though... Anyone ever try it? Care to share a few pointers? I have a good set of chisels and files.... I'm thinking I might need a barrel channel cutter? Should I get a mill to hog out some of the action area?

Where is the best place to get a stock blank? We are talking a full length rifle here?

It make take me a year to complete this project, but I think it will be worth it to see this old gal back to her former glory...

Thanks,
    MM454
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

3. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

If you have the old sporterized stock then it is a lot easier. I used a few different end mill bits and even round router bits. If you have a cross slide vice and a drill press you can do without the milling machine (unless you just gotta have one - I'd like one also :D ). The only problem I ran into was having to move the stock around in the vice to get from one end to the other, because I was too cheap to go get a long bed cross slide.. Just a matter of leveling every thing for every move.
    I left the bottom squared with the sides so it set easy in the vice and worked the barrel channel out first and then for the upper portion of the action. Then cut your bottom contour with extra material for sanding which will make your bottom reliefs a little deeper... The only thing else is take out a little at a time and make sure your are square/level in the vice..... Cool project!!!!! :cool: :cool:
  4. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

Thanks for the encouragement! Blue Tick, You did a fabulous job on that stock!

I've thought about using a mill bit in my drill press as well, but I've also heard never to use a drill press as a milling machine because the spindle bearings are not rated for side loading, thus causing the spindle to quickly wear out??? Is this true? or is walnut easy enough to cut thorugh that it wont matter...

MM454
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  5. richbug

richbug New Member

The cutting of wood with a drill press is no big deal, especially if you endmills are sharp. I made a stock in shop class in high school. I roughed out the shape with a band saw, inletted it with a mill, and removed as much wood as I could with a router before picking up a rasp or sanding on it.
  6. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

I agree with Richbug - that as long as you are not hogging out big bites and keep it down to 1/8 -1/16" cuts in the wood then your not putting any pressure on the spindle like you would with metal... keep it in high gear and work slow.
  7. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

Hm, the only time I ever tried making my own stock was when I made a slightly modified RPK stock for my Sar-2. I modeled it in MasterCam and used a CNC to hog it out. 30 minutes of sanding later and I was suprised that it looked as good as it did. The plastic stock I had before was more comfortable, but the RPK really makes the AK into a head turner at the range.