Anyone flying the flag upside down yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, Mar 5, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Someone educate me here. When would someone fly the U.S. flag upside down? I would never knowingly disrespect our flag, but are we at the point where it would be appropriate to fly it upside down? I always thought it meant something like symbolizing our country being in great distress. If that is the case, I think we meet the criteria.
    I am completely serious about my question, so please, someone tell me. The positioning of my flag awaits your responses. Thanks, HKR
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

It wasn't meant to indicate national distress but personal distress. A ship would fly the flag upside down if, for instance, they were beginning to take in water and needed to be rescued.

It is a distress signal, but I'm not sure it's appropriate to use it as a political statement. Some people go both ways, but I personally would only fly a flag that way if I needed immediate help.
    Most people wouldn't really understand it anyway, so you'd probably be better off just flying a different flag (Gadsden, for instance).
  3. islenos

islenos New Member

4. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

Title 36 United States Code, Chapter 10, Section 176 states the following:

"No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
    (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."
  5. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

HA! you beat me to it.........
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Please don't fly it upside down. We have enough people in the world that show disrespect to our flag already.
  7. islenos

islenos New Member

nimble fingers
  8. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

hkruss, you COULD do it as a political statement, but you would risk the unhappy responses of the servicemen in Mobile. That being said, I would not do it if I were you..
  9. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Oh no, not this topic again.

Didn't the last one get locked?

Staying out of this one, good luck and be nice.
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well....some might say we ARE in dire distress of threat to life and property. However, I would prefer to see the Gadsden flag or some other flag of our revolutionary history displayed to send a message.
  11. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

The flag stays upright.
    Now, attention please!! As I said in my post, I would never knowingly disrespect our flag. I honestly did not know the exact purpose of flying it upside down. I had an idea about it, but I was not sure. That's why I asked.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  12. cosmo05

cosmo05 New Member

Well...... I guess that sums it up. Are we in dire distress now?
  13. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

And we were glad to enlighten you.:eek::D:D:D
  14. artabr

artabr New Member

I think we are, but out of respect for those that are serving or have served, I will not fly the flag anyway other than the correct way.
    I have taken my flag down and put it safely away, only to fly on the days that honor the troops, past and present. I now fly a Gadsden flag.

Art
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  15. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Everyone sees something different when they look at or think about the Flag. To me the US flag represents an overbearing control freak government. I will not fly the flag at all anymore...

mike
    gn