1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

ANYONE GOT ANY GOOD CHILI RECIPIES? POST'EM HERE! ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

ANYONE GOT ANY GOOD CHILI RECIPIES? POST'EM HERE!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/4/02 12:18:00 am)
    ANYONE GOT ANY GOOD CHILI RECIPIES? POST'EM HERE!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been wanting some good chili, if anyone has some
    good chili recipies then please do post them in here!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (8/4/02 6:28:11 am)
    Reply Re: ANYONE GOT ANY GOOD CHILI RECIPIES? POST'EM HERE!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lordy JD, at my age, all those years in the Navy and all these years living around the southwest, I can assure you that I have wrapped myself around many varistions of chili, even Chinese Chili and Yiddish Chili---I have come to endorse a chili called WOLFE BROTHERS----I wouldn't be telling you this but I got you pegged as a guy who don't like doing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen when you're done experimenting--ever notice yoiu just can't get it back to the brides standards---BTW, I have found chili warmed over with that crusty stuff in it like a paint bucket gets in it, is just about as delightful and filling as the fresh stuff---and one other secret, if flies and roaches don't come around to share your chili, that means it's just right for human consumption. Wilborn

Edited by: high2fly at: 8/4/02 7:38:49 am

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/02 12:18:42 pm)
    Chili ??? In the middle of the "hot" summertime ???

Sounds good to me

Let me see what I can come up with ...

Six

"HUE CITY SHOOTOUT PARTICIPANT ..... RVN '68 TET OFFENSIVE"

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/4/02 1:07:53 pm)
    Re: ANYONE GOT ANY GOOD CHILI RECIPIES? POST'EM HERE!
    No canned stuff fer me Chief, I likes ta cook!

Good deal Six!

I also haven't had any good Mexican/Texas Taco's
    in a long time either, if you folks got the real skinny
    on makin those too, I'd sure likes ta hear it!

YUMMY!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (8/4/02 1:28:50 pm)
    JD, I came back to check with you if you are planning on eating this stuff right away or is it something that you would like to can and have through the winter? - Hope

....and I don't mean to preserve around the waistline either...lol

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/4/02 9:07:31 pm)
    Hope,

I'm gonna eats it all up right away!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (8/4/02 10:46:09 pm)
    JD, I am not sure just how hungry you are or how much ya want to eat at a sitten but here goes just a little sample....

CHILI

3 to 4 lbs. ground beef
    1 C. chopped onions (a little more if you want)
    1 (No. 10) can whole peeled tomatoes
    1 (No. 10) can tomato sauce
    1/2 C. chili powder
    1/4 C. paprika
    2 Tbsp. garlic salt ( or just garlic W/as much salt as you wish)
    1 Tbsp. black pepper
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    1 1/2 to 2 gal. dry pinto beans (cooked)

Brown meat and the onions.

Pulp the tomatoes and add with all the juice.

Add the seasonings (and any others you may wish) along with the tomato sauce.

Cook til done. Add this base to your cooked pinto beans and bring to a boil (do not scorch)

Makes a good 4 to 5 gallons and if you whip yourself up a good batch of cornbread or baking powder biscuits to go with it, you just may have yourself a meal.

Hope

BTW, I have never tried this recipe JD. I was given this along time ago by a friend but I never needed that large of a quanity.

Edited by: hope6970 at: 8/4/02 11:59:03 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/5/02 3:12:35 pm)
    Thanks Hope, I'm trying to collect as many variations as
    possible, I'd like to experiment with them and eat'em too!

Thanks!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (8/5/02 5:27:46 pm)
    JD, may I suggest to you to hunt up LTS when he gets back from one of his road kill hunts. Perhaps ask if he has a good one to offer you. I bet with all the menu's that he cooks up he may have something really good for you to try....lol

Hope

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/5/02 5:40:48 pm)
    Hmmmm? Possibly some tire grooved road kill chili maybe?

Yummy!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (8/5/02 11:23:52 pm)
    ya, but if LTS makes it you may have to spit the gravel out between the teeth. - Hope

Edited by: hope6970 at: 8/6/02 12:24:40 am

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/5/02 11:45:15 pm)

Yeah, you got a point there!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (9/25/02 6:14:15 pm)
    This one folks is not for request of Chili...lol

Does anyone make up their own frozen meals, the kind that you can take out and heat up in no time?

I find that when I am not around to cook for my elderly Mother she is getting in the habit of not cooking for herself like she should. She has recouperated from a smashed up arm and that also makes it difficult for her to do cooking. I thought if she had already prepared items in the freezer she may eat better. She is one for not buying anything out of the store like a frozen dinner, with her that just doesn't happen. Thought you may have some ideas. Thanks - Hope

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (9/26/02 6:39:32 am)
    That is a wonderful idea Ms. Hope---pre-prep frozen meals would be just the 'cracker-jack' for someone like your Mom---maximum quality with minimum of effort. When I do ground beef, I fry triple large amounts with onions and whatever spices one would use for pasta entries, Mexican quickies, and even Sloppy Joes. Do the same with bacon frying---only deal with that greasy mess and cleanup with lots of finished product--sponge it good and dry, it doesn't even freze together ---BLT's taste as good from frozen bacon as fresh---. I guess with my limited abilites in the kitchen however, my small 'crock-pot' has become my most staunch and reliable cooking utensil. Hmmn, now I'm hungry---wonder if that left-over 'sticky bun' is still good--the chocolate has melted away--looks like the handouts down at the skid row mission---yeah, I feel like I have friends in low places---go good with this strong coffee---need the nourishment!!! Wilborn

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (9/26/02 6:33:59 pm)
    Hey Sn. Chief, thanks for the reminder of the crock-pot. In all my brain cranking I had forgot all about it.

lol, lol, hope you enjoy that "sticky bun" ! - Hope

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (9/27/02 2:44:38 am)
    Alright Already!!!

Enough with the "bean" talk!
    Beans in chile' is a gringo addition, not Mexican. The beans are used as "filler" to fill the diner's belly without using so much meat. Americans rarely eat chile' with tortillas as do the Mexican people.(Real Mexicans, not 'hispanics') therefore the use of beans in chile' came about.

Real chile' don't have no beans!

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (9/27/02 6:08:54 am)
    You are indeed right Berto---the beans do fill the diners belly as meant to do---along with the 'hoopla' beans are noted for---pinto beans cooking are such a welcome smell in a home---like bread baking or clothes being ironed. Married to the same Mexican woman for all these years (she doesn't cook the foods though---too much trouble) I can bend the tortilla and scoop up the chow with the best of them. I make chorizo and eggs frequently---this morning I'm going to go down to the La Purisima Bakery for a big bag of Mexican pastries---I have eaten my share of the so-called worlds best pastries when in French Morocco---I tell you those flaky Mexican pastries challenge the French one and win hands down---strange, the Mexicans use lard wheile the French use butter---who the hell care about clogged up vieins and arteries---the Roto-Rooter man is still on call!!!! wilborn

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/4/02 12:41:18 am)
    Chlie recipes
    I also go to the added trouble of using shredded meet in my chile, Chief. It absorbs the spices better and has a better texture to the palate.
    Because of my diabetes & Hypertension, I hold off on the
    salt. I know some is necessary, but I use as little as possible, thyme, 2 bay leaves (remove after cooking/before serving), and whatever spices & herbs
    that strike your fancy, whole peeled tomatoes (1 or 2), and one ingredient that adds a subtle difference, I use a tablespoon or real butter.
    For Chiles, I prefer Hatch Chiles, from Hatch New Mexico.
    A great chile growing area where the chile is flavorable as well as hot.
    One final thing; NO DAMN BEANS!!

berto

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/4/02 7:09:47 pm)
    Reply Re: Chlie recipes
    ....and berto, what do you call this?? - Hope

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/6/02 6:32:17 pm)
    Re: Chlie recipes
    Hope,
    Sorry, I don't have a name other than "Good eats"! Course ya gotta have green chile corn bread or hot flower tortillas to go with it. Course I prefer the tortillas.

Yeppir! Good eats!

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/6/02 11:47:19 pm)
    Berto,

Use that stuff called "No Salt" that they sell in the super
    markets.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/7/02 11:45:48 am)
    I've used it several times, Chief. Just fergot about it when
    writing that post. I also forgot to add onions (1 yellow, 2-3 scallions chopped). Also, some Hatch red chili' powder to add the Fire and Effect.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

Crpdeth
    (10/15/02 6:24:57 pm)
    Tac: How hot do you like it? I've grown a bunch of habanaros and jalapinos this year and finally got my recipe "hot enough" and the flavor is heavenly...People rave about my chili, but it really isan't anything special...I add a little mustard, and a little sugar, fresh garlic (if you dont have a garlic press you gotta get one....only way ta' fly) and let it slow cook a minimum of eight hours. The rest is just ordinary chili ingredients.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/16/02 2:40:37 pm)

CP,

I like it hot, just not so hot that it's almost unbearable to eat,
    some folks really over do it, but I like good o'l Tex/Mex Chili?

Hot is gooooooooooooood, now that my galbladder is out,
    I can eat anything!

Love habanaros & jalapenos!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/16/02 3:48:27 pm)
    CP, does your chili contain beans? - Hope

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/26/02 9:54:02 pm)

Hope,
    He may not answer after my tirade against beans in chile. That's just my opinion, I will not think less of anyone having beans in their chile' recipes, they just don't float my boat.

My apologies if I offended anyone.

berto
    Endeaver to Persevere

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/27/02 12:02:52 am)
    berto.....glad to hear you do not look down on me for liking beans in chili. I like chili as long as it is thick and not too hot.

Those military days done a number on my stomach...lol, lol

No offense taken here berto, if anyone is we will just give them the what for....lol Just kidding troops, just kidding.

Hope
  2. Jadis

Jadis New Member

This is a tried and true recipe. If I take it to a potluck, I always bring several copies of the recipe because I am ALWAYS asked for it.

White Chili

Ingredients:

2T veg oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 can chopped green chilis
    1t garlic powder
    1t cumin
    1t oregano
    1t corriander (sp?)
    1/4 t cayenne pepper
    4 cans Great Northern Beans (undrained)
    1 cans chicken broth
    1 large can of chunked chicken, drained
    Optional - package of frozen shoe peg corn (white corn is a good substitute)

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large, deep pan. Add the onions and sautee until clear. Add the green chilis and spices, mix until well blended. (That's what the recipe says...mine never seems that well blended) Add the rest of the ingredients except for the corn and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer about 45 min uncovered. If adding the corn, do so for the last 15 min of cooking. Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips.