Anyone have a 1911 in 9mm?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Bruce FLinch, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

For lack of a different reasaon to buy, yet another pistol,... ( Actually Terri has hit her fun budget quota, so I have to spend mine, so she can set a new budget :D )

I had a Berreta 92. I liked the big fat nappy headed grip. It was comfortable to shoot the 9mm. But I hated the DA/SA mechanics. So I sold it a while back.

So I am considering a Paraordnance P18-9. I love the grip of a Para double-stack frame. Already have .40 & .45 Para's. I like the SPringfield, but they are not legal in Kal.

So anyone have a 1911/ 9mm double stack? How do you like it compared to other 9's?
  2. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

O.K. Imus. Nappy headed grip? I love it. What do you mean "Springfield" not legal in Cal.? Why would you live there?
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

It's a long story, why I live here. Prolly be 8-10 years before we can move:(

handguns in Kal have to pass the "drop test" ( loaded, locked & cocked, 6' drop in a steel vessel, without discharging ) & have a loaded chamber indicator, amongst other restrictions & a 10 round magazine to boot.

Anyway a lot of Manufacturers wont pay for the required testing & upgrades, if they don't think it will be worthwhile. Lot of guns aren't available in the Kal. market. :mad:
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bruce, I have a commander in 9mm, and a detonics "Combat Master" also in 9mm; both are single stack mags, and ' less gun', IMHO, than their progenators, out of caliber, alone.
    They were purchased as couriosities, primarily, as the .45 will do all the business I need to do, quite well!
    My Kahr MK-9, a steel gun, double action only, is a nine with a singular purpose, a gun that nobody can have an 'accident' with, out of it's trigger function, and is truly a treasure, as it wears s/n xxx007, obviously, by number, and trigger action, a 'salesman's sample', and cheap, to boot!
    With Don Imus' recent comments, and their results, for him, perhaps "nappy headed" is not the right adjective!
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Stash I had a commander in 9mm for a short time a Colt. It rattled when I shook it and had the worst accuacy I had seen come in a out of the box Colt. Like 6-8" groups at 25yd with sereral different store bought loads. It was nickle plated, and some how did not make it home from the next gun show I went to. Maybe it was just that particular gun. Ditto's on the Don Imus comments.
  6. Colt did build some pretty nice 1911 pattern pistols chambered for the .38 Super, which is pretty close to a 9mm +P in performance. I've seen a couple of them owned by friends, but they are pretty scarce these days in the marketplace.
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Why would anyone want a 9mm 1911?!

Kinda defeats the whole idea of a 1911 pistol don't it?
    Might as well buy a Sig Sauer pistol.

(notice I didn't say Glox?)
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

9. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

here is my springer, i have 9 more, 1 in 38 super and 8 in 45 acp
    bhk308
    i sold it
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  10. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

I have a Star BM that is kinda like a M1911. I cant shoot it though because the recoil spring is pretty much dead.:( I dont wanna ruin the frame.
  11. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I had a 1911 in 9mm years ago but traded it off and don't miss it.
    I'm not a big fan of 9mm but do like my buddy's Beretta 92.
  12. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I have one, it is a Star model BM, it's made in Spain. I guess they used it for a service pistol...(cops and military) until some terrorist attack and they switched into something with higher capacity magazines. So they sent em all over to the great states. I picked up 3 of em for about 200 a piece (a little less....but whatever). They are all used, mostly holster wear, and dont shoot that bad. The magazine holds 8 rounds of 9mm...
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  13. patrol

patrol New Member

Para is great. I have a CCW LDA that shoots like a dream. Always wanted an regular PXT 1911 and considering getting a Slim Hawg or a Big Hawg one of their newer one's. Nothing wrong with a 9mm in 1911 model, especially since you like that design and feel. Personally if I was you though the 9mm I'd get since you like that design and might feel even better in your hand is a Browning Hipower or a FN Hipower or FEG copy of the Hipower. I think my hipower practical is my favorite pistol to shoot. Also have you ever tried a CZ 75?
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

[QUOTE=patrol;. Personally if I was you though the 9mm I'd get since you like that design and might feel even better in your hand is a Browning Hipower or a FN Hipower or FEG copy of the Hipower. I think my hipower practical is my favorite pistol to shoot. Also have you ever tried a CZ 75?
    Boy, are you in my stable, now!
    The High Power, in whatever guise, is no 1911, but one hell of a pistol, having soldiered with it, on four continents.
    The beauty, in my mind, is that it was built around that round.
    The CZ 75, the same, with a double action trigger.
    Both accomodate smaller hands, of which, I have two, very well!
    Ammo plentiful, from either side of a scrap, and adequately accurate, in either weapon.
    The 1911 is best in single stack format, and, given good logistics, would be my first choice, but realworld logistics seldom deliver.
    The FN, or CZ, pistols will effectively digest anything you can put in them, without so much as a hiccup, making them my choice, in the caliber.
    As much as I love the 1911, these are the 'best of breed' in this caliber!
  15. Chief Bob

Chief Bob New Member

I recently purchased a Dan Wesson Point Man 9mm 1911 from a friend. It looks great, but I'm having trouble with failure to feed. I've tried different magazines and the Springfield may be a solution. More testing will tell. However, I think that I may trade it for a more suitable 9mm design. If anyone has some suggestions on how to fix the feeding problem, I'd love to hear it.