1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Anyone have a 1911 in 9mm?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Bruce FLinch, Apr 14, 2007.

1. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Have you tried feed ramp? May need a slight dremel...
  2. stash247

stash247 New Member

Chief, how is it failing to feed? Is this a first round, last round, every round failure, or just what? Whatever consistancies in the problem would be a big help in fixing it! Tell me exactly, and I'll offer all my help; the vague 'failure to feed' allows little info to work from.
  3. patrol

patrol New Member

Not to attack your comment but Ill list why.
    1. Ammo is way cheaper
    2. Many like the 1911 design, especially the single stack thin gripped models.
    so why not have it in something other than $14 a box 45acp?
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Berto, I have 1911 Variants in 9mm, .38 Super, .45 ACP, .451 Detonics Mag, and a re-acquired lend-lease pistol in .455.
    I also have no adult supervision, WAY too many motorcycles, and some wierd and whacky ideas on several of these subjects, according to 'conventional wisdom', but, to answer "Why"?, it's simple: Because I can!
    Thusday morning, I plan to ride out of here on a motorcycle, with a friend, for El Paso, (a short day, 560 mile, or so, Friday, to Datil, NM, ( a goof off day, less than 400 mi) to have a few meals, and a few beers, with a bunch of old friends, and Sunday morning, pack up an haul a** back to San Antonio, so I can be at work at 06:30, Monday!
    I've ridden well over 1500 miles, in 24 hours, or less, for a meal, with a friend, so, before you tell me it can't be done, I'll tell you I have gas receipts!
    Point is, you have your leanings, and I have mine.
    A 9mm 1911 is an oddity, but they were built by Colt, as the LW Commander, Combat Commander, and the Govt Model, so they must be legitimate, and some of us thrive on esoterica!
    Would I choose, say, a 5" 9mm Colt, over an equally, or more accurate, 3" Detonics, or Officer's Model, if I knew, or even suspected, an 'incident'?
    Not on your (or my) life; I want to ' run what I know', WTSGD, out of survival, and that is the caliber it was bred in.
    But, cut these nice folks some slack!
    I know where you have been, toured there myself, and harbor very stong opinions on 'what works', as do you, and, it seems, we're not far apart!
    Board, moderators, Berto: this post is not intended to put down anybody, or his/her opinion, but, rather, to illuminate some of the reasons all of us, on occasion, do seemingly 'wierd things'!
    My elder daughter never ceases to amaze me; 7, or 8, years ago, she went to Cancun, and they have a Harley Shop, there, with a wall of photos, from across the world; when my son in law mentioned that his father in law rode, among other things, an 'early (Pre HD) Buell, the owner went NUTS; "Send us a picture", his request!
    They got home, he told me, we got together, and sent him a picture of my grandson, and I, on the Buell, at about 45* elevation, in front of the house!
    First thing out of my daughter's mouth was that I was too old to ride like that. to which, I had to ask, when did that happen? I've been riding, for over forty years, two accidents, and both 'ambushes' by cagers.
    Her husband has totalled 4 bikes in six years, and he is 24 years my junior!
    My "Role model" is an 80+ year old, Texas Great Grandmother, who recently won the BMWMOA 'High mileage Award' with over 100,000 miles, in 2006, and if the truth were totally known, she did those miles in a little over eight months riding, out of financial issue!

Ardyss Kellerman, my hero!
    Back, strictly to topic, we value arms for different reasons, and need to accept those, different from our own, for no other reason than they shoot, too!
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Well...Why not? Well... I lost my job recently, so have put the next gun purchase on the backburner. However @ Sunday's IPSC Match, one of my students was shooting a Kimber in 9mm. I still have an interest in the Para
    9mm, now. $745.00

With the recent price increases in bullets & primers, I have another reason to be interested in shooting a 9mm. I'm told bullet prices are going up again in Sept. :(