The Firearms Forum banner

Anyone have any experiences with Cold Steel?

4K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  ms6852 
#1 ·
Just wondering it they make good swords and knives.

I like collecting sharp weapons, knives, daggers, swords, nut most of what I find, though interesting, are generally wall hangers (except for a few pieces, like my moms Filipino daggers/bolos and my dads knives and my repro war hammer).

I was looking at these ( http://www.swblades.com/haandhasw.html and http://www.swblades.com/morobarong.html ) and was wondering if Cold Steel is a good company that makes good products and stands behind them.

#3 · (Edited)
I hear allot of people say they are good, but I wanted to see what people say outside of their site, away from the possibility that someone "payed" the reviewer to say good things about CS's products.

Thanks, Bill, for the comment.

#5 ·
I own a Cold Steel Master hunter and have used it for years in working up the deer and pigs I kill. It doesn't have a problem staying sharp or staying in your hand when wet.

G
#7 ·
I used to work with a company here in the UK that was the Cold Steel importer. I saw thousands of their knives and thought they were very well made. They used to come out of the box sharp enough to shave! They did represent very good value for money.

The owner was a good guy and very serious about the quality of his products.

I remember I liked the Recon Scout. Heavy and strong enough to use as a pry bar. (We call it crow bar for some reason?)

#10 ·
In general, Cold Steel knives live up to their hype. I have two that've survived multiple deployments and SERIOUS abuse. Their high-end tantos cost a friggin fortune, but are damn near private-proof. (i.e. indestructable)
BUT....the swords are a different story. They are well-made, but are not "authentic" in terms of weight and balance. Honestly, they are kinda blade-heavy. If you want a really high-quality sword that handles like the original try the Next Generation swords at http://www.albion-swords.com/ or the scottish swords here http://www.armourclass.com/.
Both are very good, but of the two, Albion is the better.

#11 ·
I cant recommend COLD STEEL products highly enough.

They are GREAT.
I've owned many, MANY knives, and one that has stood out in my collections have always been the COLD STEEL products.
I had a double edged push dagger from them that was unbelievable.
That thing had almost zero pits in the blade over the decade I owned it, and that was with the most minimal of cleaning and maintanance.

My "usual" maintanace consisted of simply wiping the thing off with a dry cotton cloth..........., THATS IT.

Seriously, as everyone else in the thread has already commented, COLD STEEL products are indeed the best "Bang for your Buck" knives.

#13 ·
I bought a Master Hunter after listening to the hype and was not impressed. Mine was hard to sharpen and I didn't really like the carbon steel blade.

It is somewhere in my gun closet, I guess I could use it as a paperweight and get some use from it. Back in the day I paid $60 or $70 for it. :(

I have a Buck 104, a Pathfinder, and a couple of Schrade's, one with a guthook and the Master Hunter went to the closet.

#15 ·
I have a few variations of the Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie, including the less expensive Natchez Bowie, and can recommend their blades unconditionally.

They come with decent sheaths, too.

I wish I still had the CS Highland Dirk, I foolishly sold many years ago - before I knew any better.

#16 ·
IMO, for a production knive they are a good deal. I own the X2 voyager with a serrated edge that will cut through the pelvic bone like butter. I have the master hunter have skinned 5 deer with it and still has an edge. I also have the voyager with a 4 inch serrated blade that I use to carve bull reds with . It really does a number on the bones and thick scales. The draw back is that they will rust on you fast with the salt water if you are not careful. I usually spray XD corrosion lube on the blades and it helps retards rust formation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.