ANYONE HAVE OPINIONS ON H&R ULTRA SLUG?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by kelticcat, Jun 8, 2005.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What is this? I've never seen so many newbies post on one subject, and all in a row! I have enjoyed reading these though. I can't add to the thread really, I just shoot a smooth bore.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

H&R is becoming a big part of this forum - well maybe not big - but significant. Google is our friend.
  3. Strikenmike

Strikenmike New Member

Great shooting guns. I have the 20 gauge. Never missed, or lost a deer. SHOOT THEM DIRTY....THIS IS A MUST. Also, consider Lightfield slugs; they are all I use.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Re: ANYONE HAVE OPINIONS ON H&R ULTRA SLUG?
    I give'em an A+!
    I havent read much or seen much on them as of late for whatever reason, but give credit where credit is due, good guns!
  5. HnRhandifanatic

HnRhandifanatic New Member

I think you will find many of hnr guns will be picky with ammo and yes there customer service is not the greatest but after owning multiple models including this one I have fallen in love with accuracy
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

..that's what got my undivided attention from the get-go!
    I dont claim to be "shotgun" kinda guy much of the time, but this one was spot on the 1st time I fired that bad boy!!!:);)
  7. DC1951

DC1951 New Member

I realize that this is an older thread but I just ran across it so I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

I bought an 12 Ga. H&R Ultraslug from my cousin real cheap ($75.00). He bought it and swore it wouldn't shoot worth squat. After asking a few questions I learned that he had only ever fired slugs from a box of old remington slugs his father had. He also was using an old .22 scope he had lying around rather than put any money into a good scope. I figured that he had created most of the problems he was faulting the Ultraslug with.

I went to my local gun store and bought a box each of 5 different sabot slugs and a Nikon Slugmaster 3x9x scope. They bore sighted the scope for me where I bought it. I then visited my local range to see how bad a decision I had made buying the Ultraslug. My first shot was at 50 yds. and it hit 4" to the left and 5 " high. I made adjustments and my second shot was 2" high and 2 " to the right. I adjusted again and the third shot was right on the bull. I fired the remaining 2 slugs from that box of untipped Federal Barnes expanders and the resulting three shot group was a single jagged hole at 50 yds. I then tried a box of Remington copper solids and the results were almost exactly the same as with the Untipped Federal Barnes expanders. The Remington Accutip produced a similar group but appeared to hit about 2" higher than either the untipped Federal Barnes expanders or the Remington Copper solids. The lightfield exp's and the Brenneke K/O slugs all produces excellent groupings at 50 yds. Since the area I hunt has a maximum visibility of 50 to 60 yds and usually less, I never even tried my new Ultraslug at a further distance. When I brought the resulting targets to show my cousin, he didn't believe they were shot from the same gun he sold me. The following weekend found both of us back at the range. Now he insisted I shoot at 100 yds which was the distance he originally shot the gun at. I simply held at the 100 yd. aimpoint in the Nikon Slugmasters bdc Reticule and fired a three round group using untipped Federal Barnes exapnder sabots. The result was a cloverleaf on and just off of the bull at 11 oclock. My cousin paid for the box of slugs we shot that day and has since gone out and bought another H&R Ultraslug and a Nikon Slugmaster scope to use with it. Of course he almost choked when he found out what I had paid for the slugs and scope I was using but he agreed that it was "probably" worth it. He cringed a bit whan I told him that he really needed to spring for several different slugs to see which his gun liked best. Then I told him the truth . . . at the ranges where we hunted, any of the slugs I had tried would be just fine. I just had to pluck that cheap-o sting one more time! I got a great buy and he learned an expensive lesson.