Anyone here can?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by 45nut, Jul 5, 2012.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

This summer I have canned peach butter, pineapple preserves, dill pickles, jalapeno dill pickles, bread & butter pickles, b&b jalapenos & b&b vidalia onions and spiced peaches.

Anyone else into canning?
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Nothing quite like opening something in the middle of winter, that YOU canned.

We used to make a production out of it every year.
    It was a family effort, and we canned a LOT of different items.
    Best pickles I ever had, I grew and canned.
    Since there is just the two of us left, we don't do it anymore.
  3. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

My canning season is just getting started. I have to say my favorite canned veg is sweet corn, in the dead of winter it still makes me taste summer!
  4. garydude

garydude Member

Pickles for me- bread and butter style. It's difficult to grow quality cucumbers here in the desert but the Armenian ones do grow well, so my pickles all have ridges around the edges.
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

We can pickles and snap beans mostly, occasionally we'll put up some jelly or Kumquat preserves.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That peach butter sounds terrific.
  7. 76Highboy

It all sounds great. Great variety. I like jalapeno preserves. Do you do that too?
  8. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

We need to sit down and learn
  9. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I have canned a few refrigerator pickles and jellies, I want to do more. I had a cousin that would make something he called Amish relish, it was spicy and a yellowish color kind of like mustard, anyone know the recipe for that?
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I do meat. I keep telling myself I need to try jellies, but I don't eat that much that it would be worthwhile making up 8 or 10 jars. One jar of jelly lasts me a couple of years.

I've put up beef, pork, chicken and deer - all cold pack. Also done browned ground beef, chili, spaghetti sauce and the last batch of chicken I did I had a couple of spaces left, so put up a couple of quarts of pinto beans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Course, I did have that one jar crack, and I don't think I'm gonna eat this one.
    [​IMG]
  11. 76Highboy

I'll bet that is as tender as meat gets, hu?
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

B&B pickles, dill pickles, chow chow, beets, carrots, pickled jalapeno jam (awesome with cream cheese), pickled jalapenos, spaghetti sauce, sweet and sour red cabbage, peaches.
    I want to can meat but can't get the wife to go along with it.
  13. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Alpo, you ever can mullet? Back in the 70's and 80's a guy I worked with canned lots of it and shared with us. I liked it better than tuna or salmon, not as strong.:)
  14. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I think you need a pressure canner for canning meats. we decided to get one for next year. will be looking for info on how to do meat next year.
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Next time you're in a store that has canning supplies, look for the canning guide by Ball, all the info you need and recipes as well.
  16. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I do peaches, pears, blackberries, and figs. I have thought of canning meat, but with it just being the two of us, I find it just about as cheap to buy the tins of meat, and stock up! I did the pickle thing untill I got burned out on them, and I gave most of them away anyhow. Just like the fruits I can, I wind up giving away most of them.
  17. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Never done fish. Not a big fish-eater, and it is more difficult than meat.

Done bacon, though.
  18. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I figured there were some canners amongst us.

I bought a pressure canner last year thinking of doing meat, but so far I haven't worked up the courage. I plan on giving a good bit of the preserves as Christmas gifts and some pickles & peaches too.

I just like the thought of doing some food storage for myself.

http://pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm has some good info for beginners

Alpo - I am so envious of your canned meat!! :eek:
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  19. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I haven't yet. I'm from TEXAS and here's some jalapeno jelly is about worn out. :eek: :D Now, cactus jelly is worthy of great effort, but I live too far from the hill country to get some fresh cactus fruit.

BTW, all of my preserves are white sugar free. For the most part I use organic Agave nectar, honey and some brown sugar. The only thing I've used white sugar in was the spiced peaches because I ran out of Agave nectar and it needed a bit more sweetness. I just use the sugar free pectin and all of my jams have set up pretty good.

I'll post some pictures tonight.
  20. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Go for it, 45nut. That first time was scary. Kept kinda expecting the thing to blow up. When I had to go past the stove, to get to the bathroom, I was kinda going sideways, watching it.

Knowing how came in real handy, a couple of months ago. Freezer decided to die, and because I knew how to can, I did NOT lose 50 pounds of meat.