Anyone here can?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by 45nut, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Your salsa and a pint or so of the chili mixed with melted Velveta poured over some corn chips will make a fine mess of nachos. Add lettuce, scallions, chopped chillies, etc. to taste. Last year the BIL gave us a large bag of scupernong grapes the the wife/head chef made jelly of them. I think the best grape jelly I've ever had. This year I planted a concord grape vine but the early drought has hampered it's growth. It has only 5 grapes on it and I promised one to the neighbor (individual grapes, not bunches). Maybe next year. Is it lunch time yet?
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I sent you a PM regarding salsa..Where in Tennessee? We just returned from a trip to see Daughter in Northern Virginia and went from end to end in Tennessee, hooking up fro I40 to I81.
  3. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

45Nut appears to be on the right track, that is basically how I make the stuff, it is all personal taste anyhow. I don't profess to have the "secret" to salsa, just stuff we like.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

My wife and I have canned the usual stuff, pickles, beets, pickled fish, salsa, stuff like that for years.
    Last year I got a Pressure Canner for Fathers Day. Damn thing has been working overtime ever since.

I have canned Venison, Venison stew, Chuck roasts, Beef Stew, Vegetable soup, Green beans, Wax beans, Elk. I even Pressure canned a bunch of Cream of Fish soup. Found out after I did it that creamed products do not can well and should be avoided. This week I am going to can something called South Americans.

Wish I had started Pressure canning decades ago!
  5. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Please give more information on canning pickled fish. My kids and I love pickled herring and would be interested in what fish you use and how you prepare it.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  7. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I have canned soup and chili a couple times got some fish im gonna try tonight
  8. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I just pickled some jalapenos and baby carrots with sambal oelek and red pepper flakes (fire crackers). Should be ready in four weeks.
  9. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I just pressure canned some home-made Bratwurst. Interesting. My wife says do not do it again, both of my son's say do it. I like it, but the texture is very different.
  10. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Canning a case of salsa today. Tomatos and peppers did very well in my raised bed garden so I'll add a bit of chopped onion, eye of newt and hair of frog and a bit of mystery to the mix, and use the water bath method to can these 12 pints.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

The wife and I will be doing jalapeno jelly this weekend.
  12. howlnmad

Had to bring it back up.

82.jpg
    Thats some great Tn Chow Chow in the jars, sour kraut in the big bucket and half sour pickles in the small one. Did 17 pints of bread and butter pickles today and beets to do tomorrow.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you're careful in your canning, you never bring it back up. :barf:

:D:D:D
  14. howlnmad

True that. ;)
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Peaches, and blackberries. I have put up some marinara sauce this year too, both frozen, and canned. Waiting on the muscadine, and figs to ripen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013