Anyone here ever build their own house?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Nov 8, 2007.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

If you have I'd love to hear any advice ya might have on the subject.....

mike
    gn
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Mike
    Trust me on this one
    HIRE SOME ONE
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

To expensive.... Plus, i have done some framing before and i think its
    do-able to build my own. I will make it simple...noting elaborate.

mike
    gn
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Depends on your area, the hassle with permits/license and so forth can be a bear. Plus sub contacting things you can not do can be harsh. Dealing with so many different people/agencies and you have to have everything just right and times for things to be done or delivered.
    Yep can be problems if you are not familiar with all the requirements.
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Why?

mike
    gn
  6. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Mike, I have built from scratch two of my homes. The one I am living now is 1560 square feet and is still in work. Depending on where you are located at depends on whether of not you can even build your own home,unless you are a contractor.Electrical and plumbing can be a major problem with permits as can the possible EPA requirements. Check with your local building inspector about the requirements then if your still inclined to build it yourself then go to the library and pick up a book on framing and electrical work I wish you the best of luck and can tell you that it will take more time than you imagine and be very labor intensive. But I have to admit I enjoy working on our place. Good Luck :D catfish
  7. williamd

williamd New Member

Wife and I have built one complete frame style house and three log cabins. As mentioned by others the permitting/inspection process is a pain but you can save a lot of $$$. Plus, the satisfaction factor is tremendous!

I was in the NW and contracted with a small, local mill to get lumber - which beat the big store prices easily. I took my large trailer and picked up lumber as I needed it. Plus, owner was willing to do some customization for me which saved a lot of sawing on my part. He would cut, band and load it for me. Paid in cash.;)

I went to an adult ed class for carpenters working to move up. Had to plead to get in but it was simply great. Grew up on a farm and had built a number of out buildings but I learned a lot about what to do and not do on a real house! Doors, windows, insulation, slopes .... things the chickens and tractors did not complain about! Lots of good 'how to' books available. Plus, classes from places like HD and Lowe's occasionally.

I subcontracted NOTHING. Had some hassle on electrical and plumbing sign-off but worked with inspectors and got it done. Most were reasonable, if not always real helpful. Get a local code book and become expert with what it says as inspectors are not always right!!

Built kind of modular fashion so I could move in and expand room by room .... also not a slam-dunk with the authorities.

Have fun!
  8. durk

durk New Member

I have a cousin who has built 2 houses. I was/am thinking of building also, so I asked his advice. He said if you can handle stress well, go for it. You can save around 15k to 25k$$$$, depending..... Get a construction loan, do what you can do and subcontract the rest. My cuz told me allot of time it is cheaper to subcontract even some of the things you could do yourself because they will bring in 5 or 10 guys and get the job done fast, compared to you maybe spending 3 to 5 days on one project. TIME IS MONEY/INTEREST on the loan!!
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

The one good thing is that i do not need a loan to build it. When my grandmother passed away a couple of years ago she left some land in a trust for my mother. She got the cash rent from my uncle who farms it and when my mother passed away the land went to me. My uncle wants to buy it and its worth enough to build a nice little house...
    There are things i will contract out. The cement foundation is one of them. I hate the idea of hiring the framing to be done, but roofs mess me up just a little. I could make it easier by using trusses(sp)?.... I have no problem with Electrical and Plumbing... i have done that several times before. My electrical installation in the quarry even passed MSHA's standards so I'm not concerned with those.
    Windows...no experience. Doors...yes. Stone work...YES.. Brickwork, no...but how difficult could it be compared to stone? :rolleyes:

Inspectors.... yeah, they're jerks.

I do not intend to build in a large city. Most likely it will either be out in the country or in a small small town outside of a larger town.

One of the things that worries me about buying a used house is the question of weither or not illegal drugs have ever been made in the home. That methanphetamine stuff leaves a very toxic residue in the house...i've heard it even gets into the walls and such.
    I'm not full blown "chemical sensative" but some toxic substances raises heck with my sinuses and gives me headaches. And you know that a seller will not admit to it if there had been something like that going on in the house. Sueing a seller after he's got the cash is a little hard to do...and expensive...IF the guy is still arround. No, i'm not big on used houses....

mike
    gn
  10. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

http://www.icfsystemsusa.com/

Mike,
    Check this out. My Brother is a Gen Cont. He built a 2 story home virtually by himself ( he is cheap ) with this method. It is pretty neat.

When considering a home project, I look at a couple of things. This can be applied to building a home as well. I have been in Construction assoc. fields all my life.

1- How much is your time worth to you? I figure my spare time is worth $25.00/hr.
    How much will the Pro charge?

2- Can I do it myself in a reasonable amount of time?

3- Will I do a good enough job to satisfy myself. ( I'm picky, alot of Contractors won't measure up to my standards )

4- For the real heavy/ugly parts I will get help.

Good Luck, Brother!
  11. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I ain't built my own, But I have built others. If you need to know anything GN let me know and I'll try and help
  12. glocknut

glocknut New Member

13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Thanks Southern.

mike
    gn
  14. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I can tell you all the dumb mistakes I have made so that you don't have to!
  15. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I built a cabin except for the electrical but don't know enough to give advice.