Anyone here ever had problems with H&R Block ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, Aug 16, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I just got a letter from the I.R.S. saying my '07 return was incorrect and I owe them a couple of Kimbers worth of money! I went through the same thing about ten months ago with my '06 return. Both times, it was due to mistakes that H&R Block made on my returns! Normally my taxes aren't that hard to figure, but in both of those years, I had sold some stock options and I wanted to be sure they were figured correctly in my taxes. Assuming H&R knew what they were doing, I had them do the taxes for me. I have since discovered (and this has been confirmed later by other H&R employees) that THEY mis figured the taxes on the sale of the stock options. When I sold the options, Merrill Lynch (who handles the transaction) holds out Federal, State, S.S., and FICA (I think) to the tune of about 40 % and sends me the remaining proceeds. These taxes are reflected on my W-2. What HRB did was, they added THOSE taxes that had been with held on the options, on top of the amount listed on my W-2 when in fact they had already been included on my W-2.
    So here is the part that ticks me off. Unless you pay extra for HRB 's "peace of mind" contract, they will only pay penalties and interest for any money you owe as a result of their mistake!!! If you pay extra for that contract, they are liable for all money owed. My thinking is, I went to them trusting that they knew what they were doing. Why should I have to pay extra insurance on their work! It's like having a mechanic repair your car and he says, "the work I did is probably done correctly, but you may want to buy this repair insurance in case I did it wrong!". I just think HRB should stand by their work without having to pay extra for "peace of mind"! Now, I feel sure the I.R.S. has flagged ALL of my returns, so I wont be surprised if I get more, "you owe us money" letters from them.
    I tell you all of this to ask your advice and see if any of you have ever dealt with a similar situation. The local HRB district mgr. was supposed to have called me last week, of course he hasn't. I will continue trying to contact him, and I will call corporate also, thing is, I KNOW I will be stuck with it, but if anyone has some ideas to help, please share them with me. Thanks in advance, Kendall
  2. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Not yet. May have this problem. Will have to check. No complaint from IRS yet but have been giving my Congresscritters H*** for almost a year now.
  3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

I have dealt with HRB for probably ten years now....no problems. And it seems to me this is an HRB problem, so they would be responsible for any and all liability secondary to the return
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  4. ARB

ARB New Member

A few years ago, we had some problems. It was probably because we had moved from another state and the guy wasn't equiped for that kind of complication. He certainly wasn't the shiniest apple in the barrel. Of course, that's why my wife takes care of all that stuff now, and not me.:)
  5. oldogy

oldogy New Member

After owning a small business for many years, having a CPA prepair my taxes I decided to try my own with Turbo Tax. After finding my figures pretty much duplicating those of the CPA for a couple years I elected to do my own. One year for a reason that now escapes me I went with Tax Cut, by HR Block. I discovered a glitch in Tax Cut that HR Block was totally unconcern about and made no attempt to fix. Back to Turbo Tax for me. Now it is Quick Books, Turbo Tax and the CPA.
    oldogy
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Many years ago, IRS hit me with a dun letter for $227,000 taxes on $67,000 gross cash flow. Took 27 years for the 15 year statute of limitations to run out and they never did find their lost decimal point.

Pops
  7. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Any moron can go to HRB school of taxes and get the right to screw you royally. Their tax school is only a few months long and in my belief that is no way long enough to learn all one needs to complete an accurate tax form. If you have a simple tax form do it yourself or use turbo tax. If you have any deductions other than the norm. use a CPA. The minimal amount of difference the price of a CPA and HRB makes it well worth using the CPA. They know what is allowed and not allowed and know that even if something is allowed to be used as a deduction it may cause reason for a flag to be thrown at your return. Sometimes even if it is something you have coming to you it is not worth the hassle in the end for just a small amount can lead to huge sums. HRB doesn't care if you get audited. They stick to the old I only used the information provided to me. When you leave there that tax preparer could care less what your name is, They have been paid. At least a CPA or at least mine does can and will talk to you as a friend know your name and situation. Back to the old saying, Pay now or pay later!!
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  8. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I agree,
    go to a CPA.

I work for a CPA and we've had many people come to us to fix up their returns after H&R screws them up.
    And with their added fees, they're alot more expensive than a CPA.

Just my 2 cents!
    Lori
  9. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Yep, Junking and Lori Mick. I will NEVER use HRB again!!! For them to make the exact same mistake two years in a row is enough to convince me! I just hope the I.R.S. doesn't find any other screw ups to gig me with. On a side note, I had actually bought the "peace of mind" contract for the '06 return and they tried to deny the claim on a technicality. After many heated talks with the DM and corporate, we finally split the difference. For some reason, I did not buy it for the '07 return. Guess I expected them to know what they were doing. Silly me, huh?!!!
  10. Soleil

Soleil New Member

Only used H&R twice. The first time they suggested that I lie about charitable donations to get more back. I said "no". Second time they lost me a bunch for not taking allowable deductions. I had to amend the filing to get those breaks. I now use TAX ACT, have been for 5 years. Get a good return, costs less than $10 and no IRS hassles.
  11. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I think Turbo Tax is free if you don't need state filing. Of course supposedly Turbo Tax is real complicated or something... if you ask our Secretary of the Treasury at least :rolleyes:.

Our tax system should be considered a human rights violation :mad:.