Anyone here own an H&K pistol?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hogger129, Sep 12, 2011.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

If you do, what are your opinions of it? A friend of mine is thinking about buying a USP. I'm trying to steer him toward a CZ-75, but I am just wondering what people think of the USP. Thanks. He wants the 9mm by the way. This was the friend eyeing up the Kimber Pro Carry before, but he has decided the .45 ACP is just a little too much for him and likes the 9mm better.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

H&K is like Colt, in my opinion, in which you pay 4 hundred dollars for the gun and another 4 hundred for the name.

My H&K is a PSP, and it is a good gun. Not worth the 700 I paid for it, but it's a good gun.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Ever slam a door on a cheap car? Thats how I feel about the HK's. Dry fire them and the whole gun just vibrates and feels cheep. Im not sure why people are so enamored with them. They are good but for the price they want, better can be had. And yes I would put any of my CZ75's up against any HK. 75 is a better gun for less money and it ain't plastic and 10 feet wide, good call on that Hogger. Kimber makes all the models in 9mm too they are just harder to find.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't own an H&K now, I have owned a couple of them. As stated, they are over priced and over rated IMHO.
  5. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Has he put one in his hand, to see how it feels to him? Many people are not comfortable with the width/feel of the grips. (too large)
    The mag release is also something to consider. Not many manufacturers use this kind. Some people don't care for it.
    With the poly barrel, it is advised that you do not use "lead" bullets, rather "jacketed" of some kind.

Grips happen to fit me, and I love the release.
  6. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Never put that HK in hand before, but it certainly does look pretty wide. I have two friends that each own at least 1, CZ-75 of different incarnations. I used to carry a CZ-83 in .380 Auto. It was one of my favorite handguns of all time. I havent the slightest idea why I traded it for an AR upper, and lower... but I did... anyhoo, I'd spring for a CZ over the HK right now. Simply personal opinion, but DANG! is all I can say when I see the tags hangin off of the new HK's!
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've never owned or fired any HK, so I can't offer a valid opinion.

That said, the P30L fit and balanced in my hand unlike anything else I've ever held. Even maybe a dab better than my CZ75 even with the Hogue wraparound grips.
    But not $500 better. :D
  8. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

Well to answer the question, I own 8 HK pistols. The first was a USP40 I bought the day the Brady Bill was signed. It still functions flawlessly. It was one of only 2 pistols that didn't experience any issues during a week of shooting at Thunder Ranch (the other was a Sig). The HK's are rugged, slightly over-built pistols that should more than satisfy your friends needs. They're somewhat blocky in their design and feel so make sure he handles one and can easily manipulate the controls. It's his gun so let HIM decide rather than push him towards a CZ. (I have one of those as well and while perhaps a bit more ergonomic, it's just not a favored my me)
    Is the HK worth the additional cost? Depends completely on the buyer Sure you can spend less and still have a pistol that goes *bang* but a Hi-Point can do that. A Ford will get you to point B too but would it be nicer in a Rolls Royce? Personally, I'll spend the extra knowing I'm getting a nice German design and German manufacturing. Would have 8 of them if I wasn't sure about them.
  9. Archie

Archie Member

I own two H&K pistols?

I have a USP 40 and a USP 40 Compact. The full sized gun is a little large in grip circumference for my hand. The Compact is just right. Plus, the variant one types can be carried cocked and locked.

The owner's manual for neither pistol has any reference to lead bullet reloads. They both stipulate ANY reload voids the manufacturer's warranty.

I rather like my USP Compact more than the full sized gun. Both are quite functional and both can deliver head shots at 25 yards with Ranger SXT ammunition.

Cost? On the high side, I suppose. Cheaper guns don't have the proper controls in the proper places. Cheaper guns don't work as well over time.
  10. aryfrosty

aryfrosty New Member

I'm not an all-around fan of the Hk line. I like their long guns but the only pistol I currently have is a P7. It is of very high quality. I paid a little over $700 but I feel I got my money's worth.
  11. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I have a USP i hate it. Over complicated. WAY to expensive. It looks cool. Names cool. Not that big of a deal. I just recently **** the cz and I loved it great gun
  12. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

Don't own one personally but have shot many HK weapons and my favorite to shoot in their handguns was the HK Mark23 that a buddy of mine owned for a while. It was solid and was an excellent platform that I didn't feel like I had been boxing all day on the range after putting about 100 rounds down range with it.
  13. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

Oh i do have to agree on that. The mark23 is amazing.
  14. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

So you hate the USP 'cause it's "Over complicated. WAY to expensive" but think the Mark23 is "amazing". :confused: Ahh, it's basically a large framed USP but with an additional side lever and 3x the price of a standard USP. Wouldn't that make the Mk23 even more "way too expensive" and even more complicated? :bleh: Should give it even more reason for you to hate it as you do the USP. :confused:;):p:rolleyes:
  15. roundball

roundball Member

I have a .40 and .45 USPC and a .45 USP full size plus a bunch of other Glocks and Sigs but no CZ handguns. Would strongly suggest, if possible, shooting each of the guns before deciding. Based on cost ,the comparison is something on an apples and oranges deal. Between the two, you will end up with a good handgun. What ever cranks your tractor.
  16. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I know :,( lol sooo hypocritical but I like the MK23 I have no reason for it. I like the feel i guess. Idk haha Its the same with glock and I. I hate glock. But I love XD's and my sigma... WHich those are almost the exact same in so many ways.
  17. The Count

The Count New Member

I have a USP tactical .45. A big ass gun no doubt about it. Like the way it handles, you know you have a serious piece of equipment in your hand. Worth it? Who knows. I think the Secret Service guys have these so it can't be bad.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  18. rockymtnnut

rockymtnnut New Member

A Usp is a pistol that is built for battle. Don't kid yourself they are very high quality. My Usp 45 is about as reliable of a 45 as you could get. They are over built and no they aren't cheap but if my life is on the line it with my p 30 is what I'm carrying. The cost of a pistol is amitorized over your life and a cheap pistol can cause your life to end sooner than later.
  19. rockymtnnut

rockymtnnut New Member

A Usp is a pistol that is built for battle. Don't kid yourself they are very high quality. My Usp 45 is about as reliable of a 45 as you could get. They are over built and no they aren't cheap but if my life is on the line, it along with my p 30 is what I'm carrying. The cost of a pistol is amitorized over your life and a cheap pistol can cause your life to end sooner than later. They are in a different league than a cz . Much more reliable I have seen them take crazy abuse and keep going.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  20. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

I have an Pearl Handled H&K .38 S&W Short that was made about 1914. It has not had many rounds thru it. With the new ammo I haven't tested it yet.
    Anyone had any problems with a gun this old that is in Very Good condition with the new ammo that we have now?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011