Anyone hunt????

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by LIKTOSHOOT, Mar 2, 2004.

1. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Woodcock in Texas, or in another State......tell me about this bird. Though the season is over here, there`s always next year.
    I flushed a few on the river while clearing property lines and had never seen one before----so, new game means new fun and hunting. Dark meat or light meat??? Need a quail substitute. Man are they FAST!!

Thanks

LTS
  2. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

Taste like Chicken.. :D
  3. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

LTS, yes I enjoy hunting woodcock, a close cousin of the snipe. They are without a doubt, the best bird for a young pointer to work and hold on point. The biggest problem is that not many dogs will ever retrieve them back to you. I can't really say if is because they primarily eat earthworms or what, but I am not to fond of the taste of them either. Of course, wrapped in bacon and just off the grill, after two or three beers I will even eat the tinfoil that kept the little buggers out of the fire. By the way, you do need to carry the Federal Stamp as they are migratory. They also have an upside-down brain, long mandible beak and have dark meat.
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Kinda earthy....huh??? Well the upside down brain don`t worry me none.......cause I`m sure I got one, but the dark meat kills it---fer birds.....anyway. Nuther flyin bag-o-liver.

LTS
  5. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Yeah, not a huge fan of dark meat. Still, when the big flights come in the action is too good to miss (miss the action, that is, I miss plenty of birds). Woodies are also a good bird to train new wingshooters on. Even though they hang in the thick stuff, they are pretty forgiving for less accomplished shooters.

If you've never hunted ruffed grouse, you need to do that at least once before you die. Ruffs, however, don't fly nice and sedate the way Woodcock do. After chasing Mr. Partridge around his favored haunts, pheasants appear as big and slow as the Goodyear Blimp. Nothing that flies tastes as good as grouse that's been feeding in an apple orchard.
  6. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Wuzzagrunt, without a doubt the best tasting game bird out there old Ruf!
  7. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

We have them here in PA. There pretty tasty considering their main diet is worms!!!:eek:
  8. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Used to hunt them in my younger days.

Fast little buggers they are. Quick shot you need to be.

Light loads, small shot, open choke should do nicely.

ISB
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Sounds like a Jedi Master to me.

[​IMG]

(Sorry, ISB. I couldn't resist. :D )
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I hunt them here in Fl. and I like the taste rub em with some of that cajun season and grill over an open fire on the river bank Dang sure beats eating the fishing bait.
  11. Craig

Craig New Member

Have not seen any of them around here for a while now. Shot afew in my younger days.