Anyone know where I can get a new/used pair of grips for my H&R .38?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Motorcycle Kim, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Motorcycle Kim

Motorcycle Kim New Member

An original pair of grips in good condition or better will work or preferably an aftermarket pair that are more durable/comfortable. Anyone know if there are any aftermarket grips that will fit my gun? Or need to get rid of some?
    Here's a pic of what the original grips look like:

Thanks, Kim:eek:

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Member

3. Motorcycle Kim

Motorcycle Kim New Member

Thank you very much Skipper! Looks like they've got the original style grips and wood variations for sure, but by chance would you know if could get some of those cool wrap-a-round type of grips that are made of softer rubber?
    You Rock!
    -Kim
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Replacement grips for many old handguns are (or were) made by a company call Vintage Industries. I am not sure if you can find them on the www of not. Their products were sold by Gun Parts Corp in NY, and Triple K in San Deigo. I suspect that Triple K might own them.

I have no recent experiences with V. I. late production grips. They appeared to be made using technology that makes as "soft mold" (silicone rubber) from a pair of original grips (which may not have been in perfect condition for some uncommon models) a quick curing polymer material is then injected into the soft mold to closely reproduce the grip. Quality is usually functional with some fitting, and better than a broken or missing grip, but sometimes disappointing if you expect original quality.

The costs of making original spec. hard mold tooling to make grips for most old guns is prohibitive. A business would never sell enough grips to pay for the tooling costs. This is one reason that some original grips sell for seemingly outrageous prices.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Those cool wrap-a-round grips are only made for guns in current production. Would not be economically feasible to make them for guns that haven't been made for fifty years or so.

Something that MIGHT work, and I stress the MIGHT, is to buy a set of grips for a J frame S&W. They won't fit, but they might be close enough that you could carve a little on the inside of the grip, or add some filler to the inside of the grip, to make them fit.

MAYBE.
  6. West Tx

West Tx New Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I'll add one more. www.jackfirstgun.com

Gun Parts will tell you they have the part then put it on back order until they actually have the part.

If Jack First has the part, it is shipped right then.