Anyone live close to Marshfield, MO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rockyja, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    I'm live in Minnesota, and purchased a land parcel, 3.72 acres near Marshfield. Looked good on paper, but I wont see it till early December. Wondered what the weather is like in December.

I'd look forward to hearing from you, if you know anything about that area, I'm interested. Couldn't find anywhere to shoot my gun here in MN, without paying to belong to a club. That's why I got the land.

Just wanted a place to go have a little fun, weekend camping, shooting my guns and I might even try a little hunting if my legs will let me. Never know.

Hope I see you there. :)
  2. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I live just a bit south of St. Louis, pulled up the map on your purchase area but without more details can't say much, there's a lot of public use land in the area. 4 acres aint a lot to go shooting on, depending on whether you have neighbors or not.

Weather in December can be a 1/2" of ice on everything to t shirt weather, the last few years have been all over the map.
  3. lead

lead Active Member

Marshfield is about 25 miles East of Springfield. I live about 25 miles West of Springfield. This is the Missouri Ozarks. It's a good place to live, good people, clean air, lots of hunting and fishing. Springfield is the home of Bass Pro Shops, the first one is here. You won't be too far from Branson, if you like country music shows and stuff like that.
    The weather is interesting. I grew up on the East coast and it took me awhile to get used to the humidity in the summers. Winters aren't too bad, We never get the kind of snows you see in Minnesota. In fact, schools will close here with an inch of snow on the ground.
    The ground here is rocky. You see alot of beef cattle and dairy cattle farms here.
    I moved here after growing up in New Jersey and have never wanted to move back.
    I hope you enjoy it around here.
  4. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

I've gotten a little more info.. It's lot16, Cantrell Estate, Webster County, MO

it's on Moon Shadow Rd and Cool Breeze Drive.

It will be fun hunting the property down. :)

Thank you for the info
  5. mogunner

It's common for someone to buy up large parcels in southern Missouri, name them something and them parcel them out on ebay and Craigslist. The street names you gave don't seem to show up, neither does the Cantrelle Estates, but that's to be expected. Did anyone give you driving directions to it with references to any of the state highways? I've been watching for a larger chunk of land down in the south end to come up to put a cabin or trailer on and get off the grid, having to wait till the wife's workmans comp lawsuit is settled before we'll be free to do anything though!

It does appear that there are a couple of conservation areas around Marshfield though, and it's not a problem to drive up or over to Mark Twain forest either for some hunting.
  6. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Thank you for all your help. It’s nice to know that I’ll have a couple of nice neighbors close by. :):)

I was able to find the address to the parcel. It’s 359 Moon Shadow Road in Niangua, MO 65713

I got the property for doing some camping with my family. Being able to find a spot to shoot my handguns would be nice. I don’t have a rifle, but I do have an couch side by side shotgun that kicks like a mule.

I’ve never had a shotgun before, so I’m not sure, but I think that the reason it kicks so hard is that I’m shooting slugs. A target load might be easier on the shoulder. I got it for home defense, or to have handy by the campfire.

I’ve haven’t done any hunting. I guess, I had my fill of that in the service to my country. However, lately, I have been thinking that turkey shooting would be fun to try. I’d better getting more padding for my shoulder. LOL

I'll be driving down Missouri sometime this month. Maybe we can get together for a cup of "Joe."
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Rock, just a quaint little drive....

From St Louis take Interstate 44
    west to exit 100 Marshfield MO
    Left on Hwy 38 W to State Hwy JJ
    Left on JJ to Cass Rd
    Right on Cass to County Rd 120
    Right on 120 to Moonshadow Rd
    Left [straight] on Moonshadow to #359
    just before Clear Sky Dr.....on your left
    by the rock and the tree.....:)
    You're almost there....have fun.
  8. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

If you're interest Billyland.com have some larger acreage in and around the same area. Hope I get a chance to meet you guys when I get ready to go there. Thanks for all you help
  9. mogunner

I've seen some of their listings on ebay, we'll be looking for 40 acres or so when the wife's workmans comp lawsuit gets settled, not sure if we'll live there or just hunt it.