Anyone Load for 357 Sig

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Caneman, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

looking in to reloading for the 357 Sig... looks like a very challenging round to load for with lots of considerations... anyone reload for this round?

kind of like a 9mm bullet (harder) in a necked down 40 sw case (not really, slightly longer and heavier)

[​IMG]
  2. 218bee

218bee Member

I reload the .357 SIG. I like it much better than the .40 S&W. 125 grain hollow points and "blue-dot" powder works very well and burns clean. Don't neck down .40 S&W cases as they will be a tad too short. Case life is excellent and the accuracy out of my P226 is excellent as well. I have a 40 and 357 barrel for my 226 and the same magazine works for both. I have yet to have a malfunction of any kind. The .357 sig was intended to duplicate the 125 grain 357 magnum load in a short barrel revolver. I would say it is at least as effective as that. It also has better penatration than the .40 S&W. It is a shame the cartridge hasn't caught on any better than it has.....(it really is a good one)......Don in SC
    >>>>>>>>>>> PS <<<<<<<<<<<< Don't let the bottle neck scare you, it is a very easy cartridge to reload. (recommend REDDING dies)
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I reload the 357 Sig using lee dies. The only powder that I have used so far is Unique W/ Hornady 125 gr. XTP-HP. I have not had any reliability issues with the reloads. I have a Glock 32C and a Sig P239 that I shoot the rounds out of.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I no longer have a 357 Sig pistol. I never reloaded for it because I disliked the pistol right from the start and got rid of it almost immediately. A friend told me that when he reloaded, he used a combination of .40 dies and 9mm dies. He said that it was kind of a pain in the butt and more time consuming but that it did work. He said that he ran the brass through the .40 die to resize the "body" and deprime. The second step was to back the 9mm die out enough so that you are only resizing the neck of the .357 brass. I don't remember what he said about seating the bullet and crimping it. It's just that that first part kind stuck in my memory!!
  5. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I reload 357 Sig as well. Its really no different than any other cartridge out there. If you dont have a set of carbide dies, then you have to lube the case as you would a rifle case.

I own a set of LEE dies which I used for years, then I seen that Dillon offers a set of carbide dies and I ordered them. They are expensive, but completley worth it, considering I dont need to lube the cases anymore. Hornady also offers a set of carbide dies as well at about half the cost of Dillons.

I used IMR 800X to load with initially (Its what I was able to get at the time), but I switched to Bullseye. Good load and functions my Sig Pro 2340 just fine.

Some how, I ordered 2 Lee factory crimp Dies for the 357 Sig. Your welcome to the 2nd one I have free of charge. If you decide to start reloading for it.
  6. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

Thanks for the offer, I ended up getting one already... small world I like in Bako as well...

Going to give the AA9 and Unique a try and see how they chrony, as soon as deer season is over. If these powders don't workout I may give Bullseye a try.

Is this your carry gun?