Anyone loading 45 win mag?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DeeDubya, Nov 8, 2012.

1. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

I'm not unfamiliar with the 45 win mag as I've loaded for a Contender but recently got a Wildey and now I'm starting all over.
    Anyone with a favorite load for the Wildey?
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i'm wathing this thread with interest.

I have a automag iV in 45winmag... am collecting brass for it as we speak. i plan on relaoding for it.. perhaps for other odd ones like 455 webley
  3. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

I have been loading the .45 Win Mag for 25 years. I shoot a LAR Grizzly .45 Win Mag. I cast a 262 grs. Lee RNFP from WW and Linotype metal. I use loads of Win. 296 or H110. My problem is with hot loads the gun ejects the brass about 15 feet to the rear. I lose a lot of brass. That said the .45 Win Mag is a very good Ctg.:D

Attached Files:

4. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

I agree. The 45 win mag is awesome. Shooting a 14" Contender w/2x Leupold it is impressive at 50yds. I cast 265gr #2 alloy, sized and gas-checked (Lyman mould but I don't know the number off hand). I chrono'd these up to1500 ft/sec. Great for powdering cinder blocks. But now, I don't think the Wildey would like the lead bullets and I've been shooting 230gr ball (still available @ $40.00 per box of 50). Starline still has brass and of course there are plenty bullets available. I tried 296, H110 and H4227 which was the cleanest. I understand that Blue Dot is/was Wildey's recommendation and plan to try it first.

Came back to add that in the Contender the 45 wm can be punishing. In the Wildey it is pleasant. Similar in "felt recoil" to a 1911.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

It is too bad the semi auto mag pistols never made it. I knew Wildey back in the day. I got to know the German engineers of LAR in SLC who made the Grizz. I met the son of the orginal AMT designer and later Lee Juris in NM. My point being these were all very fine firearms people. The AMT had firing pin fatique problems and the Wildey was too expensive. The LAR Grizz had very limited production. Those of us who own these firearms are the lucky ones.

When did you get your beautiful Wildey? I have not seen one for years. There was talk of bringing it back. :)
  6. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

I've owned it for about a year. I haven't shot it much and that was at an indoor range, a less-than-desireable place to concentrate on checking accuracy. I'm going to bench it soon to see what it's got. From the Contender I know the cartridge itself has very good potential. The Wildey's are expensive but should always hold their value.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

my amagiv has the bbl estension.. neat lil job.

almost as fum as the amag in 44amp.. love that gun!