Anyone make their own GUN OIL?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by aa1911, Jul 24, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Wanted to see if others are mixing up their own gun oil for cleaning and/or lubrication.

Years ago, I decided that a little 4 or 8oz bottle of oil priced at $10 or whatever was too much. So I experimented with making my own!

I purchased a quart of Mobile 1 Synthetic motor oil in 5w-30 and a bottle of STP Oil treatment.

I combined the two at roughly a 2:1 ratio of motor oil to oil treatment. So for less than $10, I now had well over 40oz instead of a puny little bottle.

My idea is that since motor oil is meant for extremely high temperatures without breaking down, why wouldn't it work in a firearm? Been using this stuff for over a decade now and have since added bore solvent (shooter's choice) to the mix so now it's a complete CLP substitute. It's oily enough to coat everything but sticky enough to stay where it belongs; use it to clean and lube moving parts, also use it on my reloading presses.

Got the idea from my first deployment, we used straight motor oil on the M2 .50 cals and it worked perfect.

So my new recipe is roughly the same with different brands that make up an excellent home brew gun oil:

-Redline Synthetic (Amsoil) 0w-20 or 0w-30 or straight 30W (although the exact viscosity is relatively unimportant because of the next ingredient)

-Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer

-Shooter's Choice or similar powder solvent

For ratio, I start with the oil and add the bore solvent; I use this sparingly, roughly 3-4oz per quart of oil. Then slowly add the Lucas until you get the desired thickness. I keep it in a spray bottle and dispense straight from there and use it to fill up my small oil bottles for on the go.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you folks for whatever it's worth. My first bottle I made is still half full, still haven't gone through all of it in almost 10 years! So that's about $.75 a year for seemingly unlimited oil.

I do use straight bore solvent in the barrels though, and lead remover, wad solvent and copper solvent separately of course.

Links to the products:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=124&pcid=21

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=7&iid=25&loc=show

http://www.shooterschoice.com/shooterschoice/ShootersChoice.htm

Anyone else have a home brew gun oil recipe?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Cool, thanks for the link Shooter; did some searching but never found that thread somehow.

I have not tried SBGO myself yet but it certainly seems to be the preferred stuff around here! Should try some out during hunting season this year, staying dry is not an option here in the winter.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

In my M240b days, we used to clean off a jamaican pork chop from an MRE and run all of our linked 7.62 ammo bullet tips over it; enjoy the swine fellas! ha!

I'm sure that's frowned upon by some but we got a good laugh over it
  5. ka64

ka64 Active Member

6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Ed's Red fan here until i got the SBGO
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i saved the drainings from the 'empty' quart and gallon oil bottles when I change the syn oil in my vehicles. I jus ttip the empty up to drain in a jar. have a jelly jar half full of this. seems to work good on my reload equipment such as case trimmer.

a lil tube of synthetic grease/molly grease makes up the rest of my gun grease and lube collection.

some stuff gets a shot of silicone spray and a wipe down..
  9. Scribbledean

Scribbledean New Member

I blend my own....

Roughly:
    7 parts Mobil 1 5w30
    2 parts Dextron IV or V ATF
    1 part Marvel Mystery Oil
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Also forgot to add another use for my home brew oil; been using it for case lube for resizing, a tiny bit goes a long way!
  11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I got tired (exhausted, really) from trying to clean my

guns with overpriced solvents which had little or no

effect, while wasting massive amounts of my time.

So I experimented.

Mobil1-great final lube for all metal, inside and out.

Dexron ATF- "cleans while you sleep" , great at the range

for cooling barrels, and precleaning. IME, great for AKM, SKS, and

1911 internals.

Clean Strip Brush Solvent--cleans most powder fouled bores almost

instantly.

Janitor's Ammonia, Dawn, and WATER.-1part J/A, 2parts water, with a

teaspoon or two of Dawn, shaken. Great for copper fouled bores.

Try these, and watch your cleaning cleaning time reduce. I now

spend 60-80% less time cleaning.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  12. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My cleaning oil is also my gun oil for all my guns. 1 quart, fuel oil, 1 quart 10W-30 motor oil, half a pint of ATF, and whenever I get to the bottom of a can of regular gun oil or solvent or WD 40 or any other oil or solvent it goes into the mix to replenish loss from usage. Not scientific but my guns don't rust and they keep shooting. Every few months I will drain the can into a bucket through a towel then a coffee filter and clean out the solid residue from my ammo can, then replace the oil and add fuel oil and motor oil in equal amounts to the old level. Worked for me in the desert and the mountains of New Mexico and Arizona and in the north woods of Wisconsin since 1973 give or take a year.
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I'm gonna have to try some ATF in my mixture, thanks fellas! Got a bunch of DexIII to change/refill my power steering in my Toyotas, will use some of the leftovers.
  14. ignats

ignats Member

For lube, I mixed some STP with auto trans fluid, I forget the proportions. It's fairly think so you only need a little for the slide to frame area. You can thin the STP out by adding more ATF to it and get it the mix you like. STP is very slick.

I use Ed's Red for cleaning. ATF, Kerosene (or varsol), Acetone, and mineral spirits in equal measure. Store in a metal can as acetone will degrade plastic pretty quickly.
  15. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

That link was funny. Because of their non- Christian beliefs, hell is certain. I'd imagine the pig fat doesn't hurt either. :)
  16. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Nothing better...

[​IMG]
  17. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    ATF, Marvel Mystery Oil, and other penetrating lubricants (WD-40, PB Blaster, etc.) are good for cleaning but bad news as a routine lubricant. They have so little surface tension that they "creep" and will spread out to cover every bit of the surface to which they're applied. Including the cartridges you've got in the gun. Problem: they will penetrate the gap between the primer case and the cartridge case and bollux up the propellant in the cartridge resulting in misfires.

My cleaning solution is a 50/50 mix of Hoppe's #9 and mineral spirits, and my standard lubricant (applied after a bath in water-soluble degreaser followed by a good scrub with various brushes, a final bath in denatured alcohol and a thorough drying) is Mobil-1 mixed 50/50 with Lucas oil treatment. The resulting lubricant won't evaporate quickly, it's sticky and provides good viscosity for all parts. Though, after a complete stripping and cleaning, I often lubricate things I can't get to easily (e.g., the shaft of a firing pin in a semiauto, the trigger rebound block in a revolver) with a commercially available "white grease" containing molybdenum disulfide, generally used for assembling the innards in automobile engines during a rebuild.

Note: plastic parts get washed in dishwashing detergent only.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  18. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

growing up, my dad always had a 5 gal metal can with Agitene solvent, that stuff strips all traces of oil off. I don't do much heavy degreasing usually though unless I'm doing some cold blue touch up or a deep clean for some reason. Engine degreaser works awesome as I don't keep agitene anymore.

Glad to see I'm not the only one using motor oil and oil treatment stuff! keep 'em coming fellas, thanks
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have been holding out on my recipe because I want to help the forum sell SBGO. It really is good stuff.

But on second thought, My mix really is good too. It is derived from the formulation the AMU developed in the 70s. Of course using the develpoments of our modern racing industry instead of old lube technology.. ;)

1 qt Royal Purple MAX ATF
    12 oz Royal Purple MAX GEAR 75W145
    6 oz LUCAS OIL STAB.
    2 oz SEA FOAM Deep Creep

It is a fairly viscous formulation and stays put thanks to the gear lube and the oil stab. Has a high heat tolerance thanks to the ATF, and the deep creep helps it to loosen sticky parts and dissolve gummed and varnished old lubes.

As you can see by adding together the ingrediants above youll end up with dang near a half gallon of oil. And it will last several years, if not a decade or so.. Depending on use of course.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  20. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

ooh, I do love seafoam; over on the Yotatech forums where I frequent, that stuff is well loved by most.

I do want to try some SBGO this year though, going to use it on my M1A. Better get some soon, bear season starts in less than two weeks for me! I'm stoked