Anyone make their own silencers?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Ranb, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

I started making silencers a few years ago. I decided that I could not afford to spend the $2500 that SSK was asking for their 510 whisper as well as other silencers, but I could afford to drop $2000 on a lathe, welder and other tools. I started with a 300 whisper silencer learning to operate the lathe at the same time. After seeing how well it worked, I made some for 22lr, 9mm, 5.56, .308/338rum, 458 socom, 7.62x39 WASR. I managed to suppress over a dozen firearms with the few silencers I have made so far.

[​IMG]

I am always looking for new ideas, so if you have any, please feel free to make suggestions.

Ranb
  2. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

wow, you have done some apparently good work there. I have always been fascinated by suppressors, purchasing one for a .257 roberts that should make it as quiet as a .22. We will see. It will cost close to 1000 by the time I'm done. How will that compare to yours? 695 for the unit and 200 for the transfer.
  3. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

I spend between $20 to $60 on material for my silencers, and $200 for the tax of course.

Ranb
  4. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

very good. 200 for each one I'm guessing? And your labor is worth something if even just to you. You aren't able to sell out of your state are you?
  5. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

Typical is about $40 in tubing and bar stock, plus the $200 tax on each. The $200 tax is only paid once as long as I own it. If I sell it to a person in my state, then it is another $200 tax for the transfer. I can sell them if I want, but if I sell too many, then the ATF would probably deny the buyer's tax stamp application. If I sell to an unlicensed person in another state, then it is a $200 tax to transfer to the dealer in my state, a tax free transfer to the dealer in the buyer's state, then another $200 tax to the buyer. No one wants to pay $400 in taxes for a silencer from an unknown hobbyist for a homemade silencer.

I save lots of money making them myself. They are nearly as good as the quality silencers I have shot next to even if the finish is fair at best. And nothing beats doing it yourself.

Ranb
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Well, which state are you in? :D
  7. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

WA state. I just updated my profile. :)

Ranb
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Too bad. I think I'm going to be in the market for one by the end of the year. Not certain. (Wife thinks we need to get furniture in the living room before I get any more guns--we have camping chairs in here right now!)
  9. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

Hahahahaha. Well, I have to be with the wife this one. If I was sitting on camping chairs in the living room then I would spring for the furniture instead of the guns.

Ranb
  10. BillM

BillM Active Member

I had always heard that while it was legal in Washington to OWN a
    suppressor, it was not legal to USE one. Appears that I heard
    wrong?
  11. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

You heard right. I only use them when traveling to a less oppressive state. I do not plan on living in WA after I retire for good.

Ranb
  12. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Move right on over to Montana, I'm sure you will enjoy it much more than where you are now. Weathers a bit chilly right now but, it is tolerable. Besides it is one of the few states that recognizes camp chairs as acceptable home furnishings. !
  13. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

By the way, I did make a muzzle brake for my Lone Eagle one day at the shop, I had to buy the tap but did everything else on an old lathe. It was a small project but turned out ok. Building a suppressor is probably out of my grasp.
  14. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

If your lathe is capable of turning tubing and bar stock to within 0.001 inches, then it is very capable of making silencer parts. I use a cheap 12x34 inch Grizzly lathe. There are drawings available on http://www.silencertalk.com .

Here is a drawing of one of my homemade cans.

[​IMG]

Ranb
  15. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Not that I'm that in to silencers I'd like to see how you make the baffles. Interesting stuff.
  16. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

Just like Michelangelo, you start with a piece of bar stock, then cut off everything that does not look like a baffle. Actually it is very easy after you have done it just once.

[​IMG]

Ranb
  17. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Ranb,

Have you ever considered video recording the process from start to finish? I would love to see a video of you making the baffles.

Bluesea112
  18. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

AWESOME Work and you make a nice looking piece. I wish I still lived in Kitsap County!
  19. BSAP

BSAP New Member

After reading thru this Thread I have a question.
    Has anyone considered making a silencer that is resonant to reduce the sound?
    I have made a unit that has baffels that are spring loaded.
    I started with a long tube and kept adding springs and baffles till the noise was reduced almost to nothing .
    Any comments or experience in this line.
    BSAP
  20. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

RanB,

How much does the suppressor tame the recoil on that .338 RUM? Is the "can" on .338 RUM double threaded on the barrel? If so, how far are the threads spaced from each other down the barrel?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011