anyone remember the Caribou

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by jack404, Nov 1, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

flying gravel trucks
    boo
    wallaby airlines

all names for our old mate

retired now , the Historical aircraft restoration society here (Hars.org.au) has just got their one up and flying this morning ( it flew over head here so i know )

spent lots a time in them eh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. venustus

venustus New Member

Thanks for the pics Jack.
    What location is the second photo?
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

have not a clue eh ! lookin for better pic's than what i have left and stole this from a blog , but it may be near canberra , theres a chute training field that looks similar

and the bags without troops looks like a troop drop ( fly in from holsworthy, jump , assemble , patrol back to the field )
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

totally wrong emailed the bloke who took the pic ..

Air Force personnel unloading a Caribou aircraft of No. 38 Squadron at Townsville's High Range Training Area in support of Exercise Northern Station 2007. You know 35 does Holsworthy you nong !

sorry if i'da taken a proper look i'd have seen all that .. good its put right ..
  5. venustus

venustus New Member

Cheers mate.
  6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Oh yeah, the fixed wing transport plane that the U.S. Air Force begrudgingly allowed the U.S. Army to keep in its inventory after they split-off and went their own way..........................................great aircraft and tough as nails!

The Army should have mounted hardpoints on the wings for bombs and rocket pods just to drive the Air Force guys crazy. :p
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

we did have one here with a pair of Mini guns mounted in the tail on the ramp but after Cambodia ripped them out

i did see our one "bombing" drop from a boo

they rolled out a daisy cutter just like a pallet drop, chute opened it hung in the air dropped into the tree's then WHAM instant landing pad for choppers

we shoulda used it against troop concentrations ..

a great old bus

Attached Files:

8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Jack, I've seen Daisy Cutters deployed from C-130's, CH-47 Chinooks and CH-54 Flying Cranes. The effect when they go off is unblievable.

Here's a photo of a Huey landing in an improvised landing zone created by a Daisy Cutter impact:

Attached Files:

9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yeah bloody impressive eh

whats left you can drop a team with chain saws and have it totally clear for loads in a few minutes

hey you folks still flying the 54's ?? they where way cool birds , we have one out here for firefighting we named Elvis , its such a star performer ...
  10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

No, our Army took them out of their inventory quite some time ago. They never really found an appropriate way to use them despite all the variouse accessory items that could be used on them. As you say, we still have some being used in the States to fight forest fires and such. They are awesome powerful helicopters.
  11. RJay

RJay Active Member

Aye, I remember the Caribou, also the de Havilland Otter , another fine aircraft the Air Force took away from the army because it was infringed on their " Mission ". If the Air Force would get their head out of their high performance fighter jets only arse and buy more ground support aircraft no one would need to " infringe on their mission. They still hate it that the U S Army has helicopters. I also remember the OH-23 Raven, the OH-13 Sioux, the CH-34 Choctaw, the Big and ugly Ch-37 Mojave. My sling wing roots go way back.:D:D
  12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

RJay, you're the man! The Hiller OH-23 was the first helicopter I ever flew and the supercharged version of the Bell OH-13 was the one I took my instrument training in. :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  13. RJay

RJay Active Member

In reference to the H-13, the 4Th INF, Division was still using the OH-13's in 1966. I guess for observation, they had M-60s mounted on the skids.:)
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  14. SF Mike

SF Mike New Member

Camp Ha Tanh 1967.
    Outgoing 155.

Attached Files:

15. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

weren't they illegal to fly in the US?
  16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Really hard to recover from that one!!! :(
  17. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

carabous where legal it was the platius porters we fly here that where outlawed in the US ( canadian backwoods folks like em ) ..
  18. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Porters were really cool planes! Air America flew them in & out of some of the places we hung out at in Vietnam and I swear they could almost hover. Roll-out between landing and take-off was almost nonexistent. :cool:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

our "field" for the platius in siem riep was 250 meters with a clif at the end , coming in to land they'd fly Up to it , cut power and "crash" into the hill slope.

great pilots , kept us going for years ..
  20. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Okay I kew it was one I I was familiaar with It's a shame the STOL Porters are outlaw here. I think every country in the world has the Porter now that I googled it. I would think they be great in the wilds of the Amrican NW

Air America use to land between the taxiway and the Main runway in Thailand while i was there. Use to think those guys were best piolots I had ever seen. I know now maybe not the best but about the most fearless. Their inventory of aircraft amazed me