anyone remember the Caribou

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by jack404, Nov 1, 2011.

1. SF Mike

SF Mike New Member

Caribous and 123s were the main supply trucks to the A Camps in VN.

I believe the AF had given the obsolete Bous to the army and then took them back when they proved still useful.

Believe there were fatigue issues with the tail, but I flew many miles in them and nobody seemed concerned.

Coming back from leave on a chow run some enterprising VC stiched a bunch of holes through the bird as we were on final. Sounded like rocks on a tin shed.
    Pilot grabbed the throttles and it seemed like we went straight up.

I tried to get him to land at Song Be, but he flew a hundred miles to Vung Tau.
    No real damage, apparently.
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Damn, it's a pretty long way from Song Be to Vung Tau. After that combat experience he must have needed some R & R in Vung Tau to recover. :confused:

When I was in Vietnam, the VNAF were flying most of the 123's into all kinds of small fields around the country. We saw them do some really stupid stuff!!! Watched them ball one up at Kontum one day. It was comically sad what bad pilots they were. :eek:
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. RJay

RJay Active Member

I never knew the correct name for the Porters, We just called then "Storks" becasue of the long landing gear struts. And as posted it was pretty amazing to watch them land and take off. They were used in Ban Me Thout to transport some very intresting people, which by the way we wern't allowed to ask about:) Also IIRC they had some heavy duty mufflers which also made them very quite and sneaky.
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, I'm still real good friends today with one of those strange cats! :eek:
  5. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Air America's skymile program wasn't very good, availble seats were hard to get and their destination list didn't include any desirable vacation locations. :eek:
  7. RJay

RJay Active Member

Got to be honest, we had a very diverse array of visitors to our little airfield in the Highlands,many were great people and good to share a drink with, BUT, some were very strange and even a little scary. No, let me rephrase that, some of them were a whole lot scary and more than a little strange.:eek:
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ever run across a aussie who folks would think a English gent as in the way he talked ? largish ears , pleasant attitude if somewhat quiet ??
  9. langenc

langenc Member

I always thought that was something Id like to fly. I could have gotten into Army aviation but wid not want to get shot up in VN in 1965.
  10. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I recall watching them land in VN. With the nose down attitude I always thought they were going to crash

:eek:
  11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yeah, they set the flaps way down and dump the nose for a combat approach that looks like a controled crash, but those wings gave them the lift they needed just at the right moment at the bottom when the pilot would do his little flare at touchdown.
  12. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

flew Air America one time (once was enough) from Dalat to Nha Trang on a bright silver DC3. Shared the cabin with other GIs, ARVNs, monteyards and and their families, chickens, ducks, pigs and God knows what else. It was a noisy, vibrating SOB but it got me there.
  13. bobski

bobski Former Guest

made my 1st jump out of a c-7.

how many of you were ever in a c-8?;)
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012