The Firearms Forum banner

anyone seeing more pistol powder on the shelves?

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  aandabooks 
#1 ·
I've been a good boy, not getting too antsy about this but it's about time for the pistol powder to start showing back up. I have two 3 main powders I like, Unique, HP38 and SR 4756, I still have plenty on hand, but I'd like to start replacing what I've used. Bullets and primers are out there, whose hiding the pistol powder?

#7 ·
As much as I would like to remain optimistic about returning inventory on pistol powder, it is still not there. I have observed batches of titegroup, bullseye and unique for fleeting moments. Certainly not sufficient quantities to replenish the defecit across the nations reloading benches. I have most internet suppliers bookmarked and also employ gunbot to scan web availability several times a day. Based on this, I can say without hesitation; pistol powder is scarce, inventory has not recovered...at all.

#9 ·
If it cheers you up at all, in the past year I have purchased Unique and SR-4756.

My strategy is to visit the local stores every week around the time they the get powder shipments in. The local Sportsman's Warehouse is sneaky and varies a bit on when they put out out the powder, but if I stop by Thursday afternoon I'll typically find some kind of pistol powder once or twice a month. Last week it was a keg of 700x. I'm also noticing that people selling pistol powder on Armslist are generally asking $25-$30 per lb which is similar to retail.

#14 ·
I stumbled into a motherload of W231 just last week. I bought 5 lbs, could have bought more. A few months ago I saw about 20 1 pounders of SR-4756 but I didn't buy any since it is suppose to be discontinued and I want switch to powders that are going to around. I even got lucky and grabbed the only 2 pounds of CFE Pistol as they were being placed on the shelf. Alliant powders seem to be more plentiful than all others.

Now if I could pick up about 8 lbs of CFE Pistol, I'd be set for a good while.

I'm lucky that my job travels me around the state where I visit several small shops.

#16 ·
I tend to buy my powder at gun shows. Supply has gotten better there but you have to watch pricing as one table will price at $35 and another will be $28. I have found CFE Pistol, Bullseye, Titegroup etc.

No retail stores in my area stock much of anything in the way of reloading supplies.

#19 ·
I picked up 2 one pound canisters of 4756 late last year and only used 1/2 of one of them.They were $30 each but didn't have to pay the hasmat fee because they were in stock on the shelf.I didn't here they were discontinued.I worked just fine I like it.With my right arm pain from my back I haven't been able to load anything right now!

#18 ·
Throughout the summer and fall my local shop has been a steady source for just about any of the popular pistol powders so I stocked up. I don't check every monday as I once did but it seems that the last few times I visited the shop, they either didn't get any powder in or only got a couple of 1lb jars. It seems to have slowed down since Christmas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.