Anyone shoot at steel targets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CampingJosh, Aug 13, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

With my AR to be completed any day now, I'm looking for something new to shoot at. Has anyone tried the steel targets made of AR500?

The warning says that shooting steel can be dangerous. Ricochet, right? Shouldn't be much of a problem with 55 or 62 grain .223/5.56, I wouldn't think; those tend to break up pretty easily anyway. Only shot steel one other time, during which my BIL learned that 7.62x39 hits a lot harder than his .223 (and then had to weld his target back together). I'm not keen the AK anymore, anyway, so that's no problem.
    I do intend to get a .30-06 or .308 sometime in the not-too-distant future (simply for longer range plinking), so I'm hoping this will hold up for these just fine.

Anybody have any experience? I'm just looking for something for "fun time" shooting, not serious target work. Other recommendations are also welcome. :)
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Theres a guy that makes u-tube gun video's called" hickok 45"that has a hole hillside of steel targets he even shoots them with a Mosen-nagant. Maybe you can get some idea's from him.It's kind of neat to hear the sound of a hit on steel instead of just paper all the time.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I have to stay off Youtube. Our internet is limited to 5GB monthly, so I don't get to watch many of the videos we talk about on here (unless I go somewhere with public wifi). :(
  4. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

I use steel targets for everything except pistol shooting. Nothing like the report from shooting steel. I don't shoot any closer than 50 yds. at them though. I make my own and have found a hardnes of 50-52 Rc is the best to keep it from warping. Flipping and shooting both sides helps too. I shoot up to a 30-06 at them and they hold up just fine.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Josh, I use the same kind of internet conection, mine is Verizon, and I am limited to 3G. However, watching movies on youtube is streaming, not down loading. If you download, you will hit 5K real fast, but just streaming, you use none of your alloted 5K.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

I have bought several steel targets from Academy Sports. They just stick up in the ground, and swing when hit. Ricochets are directed into the ground behind the steel plate, as it swings back. I have steel for everything from .22LR to 30-06.
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

CJ, I have put up some new steel targets (round disks) this year and they are great fun and like AA says the report of hitting the steel adds a lot to the fun. The new plates I got are from Arntzen Targets

http://www.arntzentargets.com/index.htm

They are the AR500 steel and so far I haven't marked them. I used to use just mild steel picked up where ever and center fire rifle would just blast through and handgun rounds would cause it to bend.

Visit Arntzen's web sight and they explain what to expect with different ammo at different ranges.

I have hung all the new plates on curved plant hangers so they are free to move and swing. I think the angle of the steel and their freedom to move is the key to safety. I shoot handguns at steel as close as 50 feet but they are hanging/swinging steel plates. The lead handgun bullets just flatten out and fall to the ground.

So far no problems.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. carver

carver Moderator

These are two that I have from Academy Sports. They have a paper target stuck to them, and will have to be replaced from time to time. The first one will handle anything up to 30.06, and the second one is for .22LR. The largest round I have fired into the larger plate is 170gr .308. No damage to the plate, but it did blow the paper target off after only 3 hits. $37 for the large plate, and $10 for the .22LR.

Attached Files:

9. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

Nice setup Todd. I'm going to have to try shooting handguns at them. It just always made me a bit nervous.
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

This fellow "Hickok45" was my inspiration. If you can watch some of this videos you will see steel shooting as close as a few yards out to over 200 yards. On some of his videos he talks about the safety of shooting steel and the precautions to take. I only wish I could shoot like that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/u/36/JPzIisdtS8o
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

This what is left of a Rainier 200 grain RN fired at an 8" steel hanging plate at 50 feet. It was laying on the ground below the plate. The plates at 50' are AR500 steel 3/8" thick. Most lead bullets fired at the close steel turn into dime or nickle sized disks laying on the ground, smaller disks for .22lr.

A trespasser came onto the range and fired a 30.06 at these plates from the table 50' away. It did not penetrate the steel but it did crater it badly. I got the word out to I think the zombie that did that and there has been no repeats of that kind of vandalism.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  12. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Carver I like those. I bet they are not as heavy as the plates I am using. My plates are getting heavy when I have to tote them out to 50 yards or more, ha.

Would be great if I could just leave the steel on the range when I leave but they would probably walk off never to be seen again.
  13. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

That guy's amazing. Thanks for the info. Just watched the first one but I'm subscribed now so I'll watch all his vids when I get a chance.
  14. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

Wow! Trespassing on someones personal range. What a DUMB@SS.
  15. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

subscribed and bookmarked!