Anyone shoot at steel targets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CampingJosh, Aug 13, 2011.

1. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

We have several steel targets. And they work great I have two heavy circles one inch and one and a half inch . Both eight inch circles we have shot them with everything from a 22 up to a338. We make it simple we weld a old chain link to the top and you can hang them any where. We have shot 3/8 mild steel with a 223 several times with no problem. Just rember keep a safe distance. I have gone to several welding shops and asked to check out there scrap pile and most of them gave me the scrap no charge!! The only time we had trouble with Ricochets was when we shot the plates with a SKS. Have fun.
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

I bought $150 worth of boiler plate and angle iron and built my own. The plates are angled towards the shooter and I hold classes regularly where the targets are shot at and hit at 3 yards and there have never been any ricochets back at the shooter. 30-30 bullets have not cratered the steel at all.

Attached Files:

3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I hear ya! These targets are light weight, and easy to transport. I set them up to shoot, and bring them in when I get thru. No problem with neighbors, just don't want them to rust up. My problem at this time is the ground itself, no rain here in months, and the ground is really hard. I have started using a hammer that I made from a large chunk of seasoned oak to drive them into the ground. Everyone who has come out to my place to shoot loves them.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Jay, those are some great looking targets and it makes them even better when you could build them yourself. Thanks for sharing and including the plans.

I don't shoot any thing but lead handgun bullets at 25 yards or less. So far no problems but we are always on the look out.

I am looking for something in steel to use for close range defensive shooting practice and your targets may just be the answer.

Being retired so long I have lost contact with shops and people that could build stuff so I have to take the hit in the wallet.
  5. Jay

Jay New Member

Thanks for the kind words. If you're interested in a three hour drive, you can come and shoot at 'em and see what you think. I"m about 2.5 hours from Dayton, about 50 miles north of Indianapolis.
  6. Rastminikov

Rastminikov Former Guest

That's incorrect... Streaming still uses bandwidth, which is what they're tracking. Netflix will fill up your cap quite quickly. The internet connection doesn't "know" that you're streaming video rather than downloading PDF documents - it's just 0s and 1s to the internet. I'm assuming that you are on a Verizon mobile hotspot. To be honest, 5Gb is a kinda lame limit for a household connection. I use approx. 75Gb per month or more (I used 2Tb once - lol). I suppose you're out in the country and that's all you can get, right?
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Very nice Jay.

For the average shooter, I'd just settle for some A36 plate. It's the most common for every day structural purposes. The next most popular would be A513. It's a step up in chemical content requirenments, and comes with a higher yield/tensile range.

I like the idea of hitting up the local welding shops. Scrap steel has pretty much no value, and it takes a LOT to make it worth while when turning it in. Where I work, we'll get at least a ton, and the recycler is next door.:eek:
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Yeah, Youtube torches my limit in a hurry.

5GB is almost nothing, but my only other option was dial up. There are only 4 houses on my mile-long road, and not too many in the area at all. Cable TV doesn't come within 5 miles of me. :bleh:

I've gotten promises from our phone company that DSL will be available before the end of the year, but I don't believe it. :(
  9. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

We shoot at steel targets all of the time. My home range is set up with steel spinning targets at 50 yds and out to 400 yds. All of them spin except for the B12 target at 300 yds. There is always a pile of lead in front of it.
  10. pulltabbob

pulltabbob New Member

There is nothing like hearing the ringing of steel to confirm a hit. I shoot steel almost every weekend. Some are reactionary and some are not. Hard to say you missed if it falls down when it gets a direct hit. I have 5 targets in my range for pistol work. I take a couple of knock downs to the local gun range to shoot once in a while.
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Under the right conditions, ricochets can happen.

Was shooting a handgun match a few years ago. We had a lot of steel targets set up. I was "behind" the cars that were parked at the range. Felt something thump me in the chest. Looked, reached down and pulled my t-shirt (and the chunk of metal) out of my skin. Bled like a stuck pig for a while. Estimated distance from the steel targets....30-40 yards.
  12. Jay

Jay New Member

If the steel is set up properly, there won't be any ricochets. I tested small pieces of this boiler late with all of the calibers I was planning to shoot at it, from various distances. There was no cratering, or penetration. Then, when I built the targets, I incorporated the angle towards the shooter, forcing the projectiles downward, into the ground. I've shot .22 caliber, .223, .45ACP, .380, .357 mag, 30-30, and 44 mag at my targets with no ricochet other than hitting the plate and going into the ground, right in front of the plate. I've also seen steel targets suspended by chain, with no ricochets that I'm aware of. A vertical steel target, that can't move, would make me hesitate to shoot at it.
  13. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

do you collect the fired projectiles from the ground to mold back into bullets?
    would be a great way to save money; reuse your brass AND lead :D