Anyone shoot at steel targets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CampingJosh, Aug 13, 2011.

1. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Under the right conditions, ricochets can happen.

Was shooting a handgun match a few years ago. We had a lot of steel targets set up. I was "behind" the cars that were parked at the range. Felt something thump me in the chest. Looked, reached down and pulled my t-shirt (and the chunk of metal) out of my skin. Bled like a stuck pig for a while. Estimated distance from the steel targets....30-40 yards.
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

If the steel is set up properly, there won't be any ricochets. I tested small pieces of this boiler late with all of the calibers I was planning to shoot at it, from various distances. There was no cratering, or penetration. Then, when I built the targets, I incorporated the angle towards the shooter, forcing the projectiles downward, into the ground. I've shot .22 caliber, .223, .45ACP, .380, .357 mag, 30-30, and 44 mag at my targets with no ricochet other than hitting the plate and going into the ground, right in front of the plate. I've also seen steel targets suspended by chain, with no ricochets that I'm aware of. A vertical steel target, that can't move, would make me hesitate to shoot at it.
  3. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

do you collect the fired projectiles from the ground to mold back into bullets?
    would be a great way to save money; reuse your brass AND lead :D