Anyone shooting the 22-6mm ?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by acelungger, May 16, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Ace, the .22-6mm is something old made new again. The 5.56x57 Mauser round is the old.
    That's a lot of chamber pressure for an 1895 small ring Mauser!:eek:
    I would worry more about locking lug setback, before I'd worry about burning a barrel. Use the 95 action for a .257 Roberts, or 6.5x55 Swede.
    A Turk K. Kahles large ring 98 action has a small ring thread that barrel would thread into, and be much safer.;)
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Actually, the .22-6mm wildcats pre-date the 5.6x57 by a few years. Folks started necking down the .244 pretty much as soon as it was introduced in '55. And there are a couple of .22-7x57 versions (at least one by Charles Newton) from back in the '20/'30s.
    The 5.6x57 didn't come about until the early 60s. Some sources say '61, others '63 or '64.

I do agree that a large-ring or a modern action would be a better action to build a "hot-rod" rifle around.
    But I wouldn't have a problem with using a small-ring for that particular cartridge either though. Just keep the pressures on the mild side...like .257, 6.5x55, 5.6x57, etc. levels.

In fact the more I think about this project, acelunger's plan to utilize fast-twist and heavy bullets pretty much sums up the 5.6x57mm right out of the box.
    It was originally developed as a deer cartridge in Germany (little deer compared to what we've got over here mind you) and like the .22 Savage Hi-Power it was designed with a 1:10" twist for 70gr bullets.
    Thanks to all the fast-twist .224"/5.56mm AR15/M16 components from recent years this should make the concept a lot easier to work with these days.

Dangit anyway...this fast-twist stuff has got ideas floating around in my head again.
    I've still got my .22-6mm/30┬░Imp dies. Wonder if I could find a reamer to match anymore?
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just realized yall are talking about the 17/50 BMG wildcat. Its not a photo shop. Somebody really has wildcatted the .50 BMG case to .17 cal and made 4 different sizes. The largest one is simply a .17 cal neck on a full length BMG case, then they go incrementally shorter. The one pictured is one of the 2 in the middle. I read an article on them a week or 2 ago. Muzzle velocity isnt what you might think it should be. I think the long case only runs them just over 5K, and barrel life is measure in the hundreds of rounds. Not thousands..
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Theres very little info on the subject of the 17/50 BMG magnum concept. I ran across a couple threads on THR forum about reloading for it. It just isnt practical, but cool as hell lookin.

Attached Files:

6. acelungger

acelungger New Member

Hi All,
    I apoligies for being late to post on the subject, I got some BAD food Sunday and been sick! JLA I really thought that pic was photo shoped :eek:
    I look at Wildcatting like those that really did it! P.O. Ackley I think is the most know for his Wild Cats and then his use of the 40 degree shoulders, I am sure that there has been a lot of Wild Cat data thrown away after the passing of several home gunsmiths that spent several years working on some Wild Cat caliber that never were ever brought out to the public.:( I think there are several reason's for the Wild Cat's cartidge's, I don't have the talent to ever be a devoleper of a Wild Cat cartidge, so I just play around with those cals. that have slipped out of sight!
    I hope in some way we can keep this going I thank each one of you guy's for your info.
    Greg
  7. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

One of the best things about being a gun nut is the fact that you can conjure up all sorts of little custom projects, and over time, without a huge expenditure, you can actually built it. Ace, sounds like youve found one! While I am certainly not a huge wildcat expert by ANY stretch of the imagination, I would offer a few thoughts from "general experience" that might be of consideration. First of all, you are apparently not in a position to be working on developing a "crash bang magnum shoulder buster" and as such, your interest in barrel life seems to be the perfect mind set and reasoning to want to build a 22-6 and develop loads using your plethora of knowledge youve developed from your research of wildcatting if you have accuracy as the primary goal, not FPS. I have tons of experience with the 22/250 and the 25-06 and can tell you that if your not looking to set FPS records, you can certainly develop loads that will please you without making the project into a cause of unreasonably short barrel life. I have always had some (probably deranged, lol) affinity for building rifles on the old/soft "small ring" platform, and as such have always had to consider caliber choices because they are NOT acceptable for high pressure development. The suggestion of using a Turk to build your rifle MIGHT be a good one, but if you keep in mind the pressure considerations you should be in a reasonable position. I wish you luck with your project, and I know I speak for EVERYONE when I say POST LOTS OF PICTURES of the rifle when its together, and even some targets if you will, once youve loaded for it and fired it.
  8. acelungger

acelungger New Member

Inthewind1976,
    Right off, thanks for the kind words! At the speed I have been working on it I will be dead and gone and it still won't be finished:rolleyes: I have allways been a person that took on about any kind of job as long as it was do able, and that is how I have lived my whole life, and that is why I am in the shape that I am in!! I have allways made my money to play with the guns doing 2 and 3 jobs at a time. If I wasn't so hard headed and tight with the cash, this rifle would be done! I have allways been a lover of the Colt 1911, and started shooting them in 1972, so back in Feb. I made up my mind that I could buy Capains frame and slide and build a 1911 that would shot as good if not better than Wilson's intro model at $1995.00 and have less than $600.00 in it!
    The Pistol is shooting better than any 1911 I have ever owned, but I don't have it feeding right,:mad: but I will:eek: Someone told me how to test my SR Mauser to see how hard it was, but I think I was told to run a file acrossed it and if the file dug in then it was soft?:confused:;)
    After all the talk about how soft the SR's are I think I will work up loads that show no sign's of pressure and shoot it that away and then build one up on a better action! If anyone has a 98 action that is a SR thread and they want to sell it, please get a hold of me.
    I am allways open to any advice, so please feel free to post!
    One other thing, I need some Help, ealier in the week I ran acrossed a guy posting that he was wanting to buy a 1911 slide, I got a hold him and took pic's of it and for the life of me, I can't find the guy:eek: If anyone has seen that post, could you please email me or pm me and me know what site it is on?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Thanks for taking the time to read and post the help!
    Greg
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012