Anyone small game hunt with a Ruger Hunter III?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pzlehr, Aug 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pzlehr

pzlehr New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Pretty much same as subject line. I have a Hunter MkIII and it's pretty good. I have a cheap 20yr old handgun scope on it...Simmons. Anyway I used to have a Ruger MkII Gov't model. What a tack driver with the same scope. I sold it sad to say....one of those guns you wish you never got rid of. I was wondering what kind of accuracy others got with the Hunter and if they hunjted with one. I have a Henry Golden Boy and I hate to drill and tap into the brass frame, although I will if I have to...so I have been wondering about using the Hunter for actually hunting! It just does not seem to get the groups other .22's I have do.

2. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern NY
    My hunter shoots very well using the factory sights I do wish they were v notch and bead as the fiber front sight is too large for my liking

3. langenc

langenc Active Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Montmorency Co, MI
    The gun is good for hunting. Will shoot better than 99% of shooters.

4. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Can't speak for the Rugers, I don't own one anymore. But I do have an old Colt Woodsman Match Target that I do use for squirrel hunting. While I don't kill a lot of squirrels with the pistol, I do have a lot of fun!

5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio NRA Member
    I havent hunted with one, but, as far as accuracy....the one Ive been shooting with on a regular basis is spot on!