Anyone Stack Their Mags?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Anyone stack their mags? I know there have been brief conversations or mentions of it before, but anyone actually do it?

I took a stab at it and stacked this time after a good thorough cleaning. Used the following combination.

(H= JHP, F= FMJ)
    (EDIT: The first JHP is in the chamber, hence the +... and the " | " are just to provide some breaks so it is easier to see the pattern).

H + H H | H F | H F | H F | F F | F F | F

The result is my first 4 shots are JHP, and then I get three the alternating pattern, and end with 6 shots of FMJ (total of 14 rounds).

I have always carried a mag + 1 of JHP, and the spare as FMJ... the idea being if I was in a situation where I needed to [try] to fire through cover I would be able to switch out to the FMJ. That being said I've always assumed if I was in that kind of situation the last thing on my mind will be (no matter how badly I want to be thinking like that) which magazine I have loaded. The idea with this stack rotation is in a "simple" shooting I have 4 reliable rounds of JHP. I figure beyond 4 rounds I am in a situation where either the sh*t has hit the fan, or I am trying to shoot through cover (maybe they are the same thing :D). At which point I want some FMJ. If it gets to the point where I have gone through 8 rounds and am still firing, I am DEFINITELY shooting through cover, OR the sh*t has really hit the fan and the kind of bullets I am firing is a very minor concern.

Currently have the spare mag loaded entirely with FMJ, but figure it should get the same stack rotation in the event I switch out mags due to a malfunction (as opposed to a reload).

---------

What do ya'll think? Am I putting too much thought into it? Mostly was bored so figured I would run it by everyone :D.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

I have thought about the same thing. I always end up undecided. My adopted philosophy...correct me if I am wrong...is that you can't prepare for absolutely everything without carrying around 50 pounds of gear. That's usually not an option though. It all boils down to personal preference. The important part is that you are thinking about the different scenarios. Most people by a firearm and never put any further effort into it.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I've been doing that for years, didn't know there was a name for it. In my Beretta 9mm I have JHP in the pipe followed by one more then alternate 2 FMJ, 2 JHP, 2 FMJ and so on. Don't have any particular reason for it, just do it!!
  4. McFry

McFry New Member

the military has been doing this for forever, especially with belt fed weapons: 1 Ball, 1AP, 1API, 1T, and repeats for the length of the belt. we used to load our m-16 mags 3 ball, 1 T. As far as personal carry goes, i load jhp,fmj,jhp,fmj... and so on.
  5. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I currently don't, but I have done it alot in the past. I always do it when I'm camping!
  6. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

I fired my xd at the range this weekend and had no feeding problems as someone suggested to me. no reason not to stack my mags and seems like a good idea for defence purposes.
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I have several AR mags, fully loaded, and stacked on top of one another. Does that count? :rolleyes:
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have always been a fan of varying the bullet types in a magazine, though never heard it called stacking before.

When I used to carry it was a matter of never knowing what you were going to ask the bullet to do, penetrate a barrier, wood, thin steel car door or coat.

I had no golden rule but mostly put three/four HPs above three/four FMJs. If the HPs didn't get through, the FMJs just might.

The only 'must' and it's a big one is to test the combo on the range and make sure they all feed smoothly.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I "stack" my .380: jhp, fmj, jhp, fmj, etc. I won't do this with my .45, and I think it is a bad idea with any caliber that might shoot thru a human body. You are responsible for that round that goes thru! I would not want to accidentally shoot an innocent bystander with a thru and thru.